Linksys Wireless Network - Some Internet Access

Rockinrichy 09:18 04 Mar 06

I have recently set up a wireless network. I have a desktop running XP home with a USB network adaptor. I also have a laptop using a laptop wireless adaptor, again running XP home. I have both of these connected, through the gateway to the internet. Both machines are set up with static IP addresses and were set up with the minimum of fuss.

I am trying to connect another two laptops. These have inbuilt wireless cards. they will connect to the router and show as good or excellent connection but I cannot get them to connect to the internet. What am I doing wrong.
They are both Toshiba laptops.

Any help appreciated.

dms05 09:39 04 Mar 06

Quote from a previous thread:

mgmcc...

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection (modem connection) in the Host PC, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection's TCP/IP settings with the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 - you should not change these settings.

The Client PC should *normally* be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the Host PC. While you can allocate fixed addresses, (a) ICS sometimes doesn't like this and (b) the Client's inability to get its IP address from the Host could indicate another issue, i.e. the two aren't communicating in the first place. Make sure that any firewall software is configured to allow access to the networked computers.

If you do need to allocate fixed addresses in the "Client" PC:

IP address - 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1 (the Host's IP address)

DNS Server address - 192.168.0.1 (the Host's IP address)

mgmcc 22:25 04 Mar 06

<<< These have inbuilt wireless cards. they will connect to the router and show as good or excellent connection but I cannot get them to connect to the internet. What am I doing wrong. >>>

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have internet access.

Just out of curiosity, why have you used fixed IP addressing rather than DHCP with the first two computers connected to the router?

Rockinrichy 09:34 05 Mar 06

Thanks for your advice so far.

I am using static IPs so that I get stable connections and reconnections when using file sharing apps.

As for connecting, let me clarify.
My desktop and laptop connected pretty much first go when I set up the network. With the new laptops, they see the SSID. I connect and enter my WEP key, then in most cases it will either say good or excellent connection sometimes I get a limited or no connectivity message.

I should point out that all computers in the network are wireless and there are no wired connections at all.

One final point to note is that although I have a vague idea what I am trying to do, I should be considered as a novice as networking is completely new to me, so all of your advice is greatly appreciated.

keewaa 11:22 05 Mar 06

On by One for each laptop, could you temporarily disable the wireless (righ click on it in network connections), connect it to the router via wire ethernet, and check if it works ok by wire. The unplug and re-enable the wireless. This will just confirm it is purely a wireless problem.

Rockinrichy 12:03 05 Mar 06

unfortunately I do not have a network cable. If I need to I will go out a purchase one. I dont suppose the cable supplied with my ADSL modem will do the trick?

keewaa 14:02 05 Mar 06

Any spare ethernet cable will do, but before you do it, check within the router the MAC filtering section and that the MAC addresses for the new laptop are allowed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…