Linksys wireless network - can't talk with router

stugra 19:23 04 Jan 06

I am going bonkers with this one - especially as there is no UK support helpline!

Equipment: Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway WAG354G

Problem: I set it up but when I type 192.168.1.1 in my browser it does not see the router - just comes up with page not found errors.
IPCONFIG tells me the IP address is 169.254.47.27
This gives me a Local Area Connection 2 icon by the clock, but with a yellow triangle and exclaimation mark.

Forcing the IP address to 192.168.1.1 (I think that is what I am doing by tweaking) gets rid of the Local Area Connection 2 icon by the clock, and makes the LAC2 in 'my connections' say it is connected.

This is all very confusing to me and I am at a complete loss. I therefore appeal to the wifi experts for your fantastic knowledge please? Thanks, Stu.

Halmer 19:47 04 Jan 06

I've just been through this with the same model and finally got it working.

Have you loaded the software?

stugra 19:51 04 Jan 06

Hi - great - the software gets to section 12 where it is about to save the settings and says error - check ethernet cable - contact linksys!

Halmer 19:52 04 Jan 06

PCs?

stugra 19:53 04 Jan 06

At the moment, just my main PC, I haven't looked at the wireless card for my laptop yet.

Halmer 19:53 04 Jan 06

Because if you are doing just one I have a feeling that you may need an ethernet connection to get it started.

Halmer 19:53 04 Jan 06

Because if you are doing just one I have a feeling that you may need an ethernet connection to get it started.

Halmer 19:55 04 Jan 06

the site seems to have slowed right down.

stugra 19:55 04 Jan 06

I have the ethernet cable plugged from the router to the PC. The cable is OK 'cause if I unplug it, it comes up with 'network cable unplugged' on the PC.

woodchip 20:03 04 Jan 06

You need to be able to setup and connect throught the router with a Ethernet cable to computer and internet, before you can start to setup Wireless connections

stugra 20:04 04 Jan 06

Just read back - bit confusing.

To clarify, I have the router plugged to the PC by a yellow ethernet cable. The router is powered up and the adsl light comes on when I plug in the phone line cable.

I progress with the setup disk, putting in all the settings it asks for, and then just before I get to complete section 12 by saving all the settings it says "unable to connect to the router, check the cable connection from the computer to the router. Contact Linksys technical support for further assistance".

I exit, in tears.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5