Linksys Wireless-G Products

Fastflys 14:34 15 May 05

I already have a wired 4 port Cisco 800 router and HP notebook attached to a docking station on my desk.
I’d like to create a wireless connection for those times when it is more convenient to work from another room in the house.

I’m leaning towards a Linksys wireless-G Ethernet bridge, model: WET54G which will plug into one of the 4 ports of the wired Cisco router and a Linksys wireless-G PCMCIA card, model: WPC54G for the HP notebook [O/S Win XP pro SP2].

I chose Linksys products because they are part of Cisco Systems and I already have a wired Cisco router so thought it better to match like with like.

I’ve zero knowledge of wireless technology and have read reviews of the above products which range from brilliant to useless so confusion reigns.

Do any of you guys out there have experience of these or other Linksys products and if so, how did you rate them?

Forum Editor 00:50 16 May 05

dispense with the wired router altogether, and use a wireless router/modem combination?

You'll find that in practice it's OK to mix component brands - I've yet to have a problem in this respect, and I've set up dozens of wireless networks. On my home-office network I use a Netgear router and a Belkin PCMCIA card in my laptop. My PCs (four of them) have a mixture of internal PCI wireless cards - it all runs like clockwork.

Fastflys 15:17 16 May 05

My notebook, router and broadband connection are all company owned and paid for.

The wired Cisco 800 router has been setup by I.T. so that I can securely access the company network as well as the internet.

Hope this makes sense.

FF

Strawballs 00:31 18 May 05

I have a Linksys wrt54g wireless router 1 desktop wired, 1 desktop wireless and 1 laptop wireless all no problem, easy to setup' enable WPA and to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…