Linksys wireless adapter only showing 11.0mbps

Halmer 20:23 19 Jan 06

Whilst my main PC connects at 400mbps my other one which is connected via a wireless adapter is only showing 11.0mbps.

Can anyone explain why please?

ade.h 20:27 19 Jan 06

Does it vary with proximity, or is it consistently poor?

De Marcus™ 20:32 19 Jan 06

There are a many reasons why this would happen, more details please.

How is the main pc connected?

What make/model is the router?

What make/model is the laptop?

De Marcus™ 20:33 19 Jan 06

What make/model is the laptop??????????

Ignore that

what make/model is the wireless adaptor?

Halmer 20:33 19 Jan 06

The signal strength shows as 'excellent' most of the time. The adapter PC is slower anyway in spec and hence is a bit slower to load pages but I just wondered if something was up.

I've just 'repaired' it and it has gone up to 54.0mbps which is the most that it has ever been.

Halmer 20:36 19 Jan 06

Its a Linksys WAG54GS connected by cable to an ethernet on my main PC. I then have an older PC connected wirelessly via a small Linksys adapter.

The main ethernet PC is a Compaq. The other one is a bit of a mongrel.

Both have XP.

ade.h 20:38 19 Jan 06

54 is normal and standard. Cross your fingers and leave well alone if you are no achieving that.

Unless of course, you paid extra for one of the many different accelerated "standards" that are unique to each brand; Pre-N, and so on...

ade.h 20:38 19 Jan 06

for no, read now.

De Marcus™ 20:40 19 Jan 06

I think ade.h is on the right track, sometimes on my notebook when I move further away from my router the signal drops, strangely a repair brings it back up to full 54mbps.

ade.h 20:49 19 Jan 06

I always get maximum signal and speed, but I have not yet had need to move into the garden or anything like that. So, aprt from solid walls, I'm always within 25 feet or so.

Halmer 07:07 20 Jan 06

by the looks of it, not my internet com. It is now showing 100.0MBPS on the main PC not 400.0

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017