Linksys WAG54GX2 lost internet

Captain Wilkie 19:18 12 May 06

Can any one help with this one.

I have a Linksys WAG54GX2 wireless router, working fine for 3 months, I have a PC hard wired, which is working OK, and a laptop on wireless, which is connecting to the network OK but has lost the internet. It does work if you hard wire it. I have been onto Linksys help line to no avail. I have tested the laptop on a friends wireless network and it was OK, so it is looking like the router. Any ideas how I prove what the fault is.

mgmcc 07:06 14 May 06

When you say "is connecting to the network OK", can you actually access the router's Setup pages by entering 192.168.1.1 into your web browser? Can you access "shared" folders over the network in the PC that is 'wired' to the router?

If neither of these is possible, what makes you believe you are connecting to the network? After connecting to the wireless network for the first time, the settings are saved in a 'profile' in the PC so that it can connect automatically the next time. If this 'profile' has become corrupt, the adapter will fail to connect to the wireless network. Connecting to your friend's network isn't a problem because you are manually connecting for the first time.

Try deleting your existing connection from the WiFi adapter's settings so that you have to connect manually again, i.e. run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

Captain Wilkie 13:21 15 May 06

Yes, I can access and ping the router, and get to shared files etc, but cannot ping or access anything on the internet. I did try delecting the wireless setting and also resetting the router but it did not fix the problem. However over the weekend I changed the wireless security mode from WPA2 Mixed to WEP, and the problem has now gone away. So thank you for your help anyway, but somehow changing the security mode has fixed my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…