Linksys WAG54GX2 & AOL

Russkygem 11:30 06 May 06

I'm quite new to this so 'simple' is the key word! I have a Sony VGN A617B Laptop which is wireless enabled, I have now purchased the Linksys WAG54GX2 router which I have managed to configure, however I can only connect to the internet if the ethernet cable is in. My laptop says my network is available however when I try to connect I am unable to get on line? I have tried so many different things. I have followed all the guidelines on the computer to no avail, I have tried AOL help and they have told me that my router is not one that is supported by them so I got nowhere with them, tried to link up to the Linksys site to use their auto connect, but again this router is not one on the auto connect list? Been trying to sort this out for 2 weeks now, my other half is totally fed up and said that the technology is far too confusing and we should bin the lot!! Any help would be appreciated but I do stress that my computer knowledge is limited.

Taff™ 12:21 06 May 06

From Control Panel select Network Connections and right click your Ethernet Connection Adapter. Set it to disable - you can re-enable it anytime later. Now right click your wireless adapter and select properties. Under the General Tab scroll down to TCP/IP and highlight it by selecting it. Now press the properties button underneath. Check that both the radio buttons are selected "Obtain Automatically" Now try to connect and report back.

Russkygem 12:29 06 May 06

Just as your reply has been put on I have managed to connect, to be honest I think it was something as simple as one digit incorrect in the passphrase. I am so pleased as I have now managed to connect the desktop by using a usb adaptor as well.
Thanks for taking time out to help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…