Linksys WAG54G timeout issue on UDP?

Gra76 14:19 08 May 06

Hi all, I have a bit of a problem with what I think may be a timeout problem with my router. You'll want to know my network configuration I guess, so here it is:

Router: Linksys WAG54G

PC's connected to router: 1 x PC running Win XP - wired into router. 1 x PC running Win XP with wireless newtwork card. 1 x laptop running Win XP with integrated wireless card.

I also have an xbox360 set up on the wireless network, and this is where the problem seems to happen.

I have no problems with my pc's timeing out, in fact the network runs perfectly to the best of my knowledge.

However, I bought Final Fantasy XI for my XBox 360 this weekend, and in order to play the game you first of all have to install something called 'Playonline viewer' which I did without any drama. The problem is this. Once I connect to Playonline viewer it says I have to update the game files. No problem so far. However, there's 1,783 files to update and whenever I get to approx 80% of the files checked I get an error message saying the server cannot be found.

This has led me to 'google' the problem and has led me to the conclusion that the most likely cause is that my router is closing Port 53 after a set time. I say that because it appears that the game updates to 85% every time if I very quickly start the update once connected (takes about 10 minutes before I get the error message at a guess). The later I start the update the earlier in the update it gives the error message.

Does this make any sense? If so, is it possible that my router is doing this and is there an easy way to change the settings to stop this timeout (if that is what is happening)?

Thanks in advance, if you need any more info please tell me what you need! I have a reasonable knowledge of these things, but I certainly don't do it for a living so go easy!

Gra76 14:36 08 May 06

Just a bit more info if it's of any use. I rang the helpline for the Playonline viewer and they said that Port 53 must be open to update the game, I also rang my ISP (Kingston Karoo) who told me that they don't block that port, this is another thing that makes me wonder if it's a setting on the router.

Don't know if that helps or not!

Gra76 08:44 09 May 06

Quick update....been checking my router log and seeing what is happening. I'm getting an 'invalid TCP packet' and very soon after that I get this fault. Don't know if that helps.

Gra76 08:36 10 May 06

Fixed it myself, thanks for the helpful advice...err, so anyway, it turned out to be the router firewall that was the problem. Once disabled (ok, not the best idea) everything is well again. Looks like I need to find a more up to date router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…