Linksys WAG54G Router V Netgear DG834GT Router

fitzy- 2nd 22:59 20 Mar 05

Hi
I'm looking to buy a router, and i'm torn between the following Two routers.

Linksys WAG54G Wireless 4-Port ADSL Router

Netgear DG834GT 108Mbps ADSL router

I've read quite a few reviews for and against these two routers so i'd be grateful any advice in making the right choice.

It will be for Two pc's connected to NTL 1mb broadband.

Thanks to all that reply.

Forum Editor 00:39 21 Mar 05

although if I had to choose one over the other I would probably opt for the Netgear - it looks nicer, if nothing else.

The Kestrel 10:14 21 Mar 05

I have been using the netgear modem router to wirelessly link 3 PCs at my home for the internet. My PC is linked by cable. The other two are linked with wireless USB adapters. One is downstairs, and is separated by 3 walls and the other is upstairs separated by 5 walls and a considerable distance. Both of the wireless linked PCs always have strong or at least medium strength signals. The network has been running, without problems for several months. I would recommend netgear equipment, and would suggest you don't mix brands, but stay with netgear for all parts of your network

computernerdiamnot 19:05 21 Mar 05

I have used this router for nearly a year after being recommended on this site by Byford and never had a problem i live in a victorian house with solid walls not plasterboard and the router is upstairs mounted to the wall above a warddrobe and get a good signal i have 2 computers running wireless one with the netgear adaptor.

SCL411 22:48 26 Mar 05

I would think twice about the Netgear.

Having had the unit for a while, it has been very problematic. The main problem is the dropping of the adsl connection, which it does on a very regular basis. Before I get slated by people suggesting it's my line, I will say that my previous router, the Linksys WAG54G held a solid adsl connection for many hundreds of hours. This was also the case for router/modems from a number of other manufacturers that I've borrowed to do comparative testing with.

The wireless side of things on the Netgear has its problems too, with wildly fluctuating signal strength and, in some cases, complete drop outs (even when wireless clients are within a few feet of the router with no other wireless networks around, or other elecronic devices that could cause inerference.

Netgear UK have released three beta firmware revisions in the last month or so (to certain individuals) that have made some progress with the adsl instability but have introduced other problems. I have been part of a group of people that have been extensively testing these betas.

If you follow the link to the Netgear support forum, you can read about the extent of the problems:

click here

I am trying hard to like the Netgear DG84GT but, in my opinion, it was rushed onto the market while not in a fit state to be sold. I am on my second unit and that is behaving exactly the same as the first.

My advice would be to stay clear of the Netgear, at least until a stable firmware revision is released. When/if this happens it will be a good product.

Madpad_001 00:34 27 Mar 05

I use the Linksys WRT54GS router and wifi card on my network. And to me they work brill it took about 20min to setup, you just follow the on screen props.

All though the only down piont I had was that I needed to buy an ethernet modem to use the internet (Broadband) from my laptop. The modem must be connected direct to the router to access the internet and the router only has RJ45 conections no usb port.

My router is upstairs on my main desktop system And my laptop is down stairs most of the time, and I always get a strong signal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…