Linksys router + duplicate ip problem?

Lonners 15:23 02 Feb 09

Hey guys

Ive had a quick search on t'internet previously regarding linksys routers and I believe I had this IP problem with the linksys wrt54g.

It seems that it's a known linksys problem and there's not too much I can do to fix it - I live in a house with 4 other people and we're now getting a lot of duplicate problems/can't get on the internet quite a bit.
So it's all very frustrating.

If you've got any ideas how we can fix this that would be great, but as stated I've already looked around without much joy...

SO! As an aside how about alternative routers? I hear netgear are recommended, but any particular models?

We're on Virgin, so would we need something in particular? I guess not...would need a good signal strength though as the house has 2 stories, and the linksys does a reasonable job of beaming wireless all the way up there - but of course if it's not connecting now it probably has to be get gone.

Any advice on this would be most appreciated.

mgmcc 16:29 02 Feb 09

I'm not sure what your problem is, but you should be able to give all of the computers connecting to the router fixed IP addresses so that there won't be any conflicts.

If addresses are allocated automatically by DHCP, it is possible to put a PC into Standby without it releasing its IP address. If a second PC is booted, the router (being unaware that an address hasn't been released), may give that same address to the second PC. When the first PC resumes from standby, there is an IP address conflict.

If the Linksys router performs well "wirelessly" throughout the house, keep it and get the IP addressing sorted out.

Strawballs 09:44 03 Feb 09

That is the same router that I have been using for more than 4yrs without any problems.

dawood 14:50 04 Feb 09

Same as what mgmcc mentioned, I would advise you to configure fixed and unique IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS info on ALL computers. Should solve your problem.

If you want to use DHCP feature on router, configure ALL computers to obtain IP and other network info automatically. Also ensure you've configured big enough IP range on router's DHCP setting.

I suspect some computers are configured with fixed IP but some rely on DHCP, so it causes IP conflict problem.

dawood
click here

T0SH 18:37 04 Feb 09

Try right clicking on the connected icon down by the clock and selecting Repair from the menu options will release and renew your IP address which should resolve any IP conflicts

If you do not have the icon down by the clock opening Network Connections and using the right click menu will get the same results

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…