Links set up

johnb9 12:35 18 Feb 08

I have purchased a domain which when someone clicks on it (via advert in a newspaper)I want the link to take it to a networking site(have my own web page in this)
Later I may want the click to take the person to my own 'general' web page with links to several other businesses or interests

Any help gratefully received

Forum Editor 18:41 18 Feb 08

in our web design forum, but as you're here now we'll try to sort this out.

1. You say you have registered a domain name - is it being hosted by the company which registered it for you, or is it 'parked' with them?

2. You say you have a page in a networking site - what exactly does that mean? Are you saying that someone else has published a web site, and you have your own private page on it? If you are, you can't link your own domain name to it - the page address will be at the domain name for the site you refer to. Let's say the site is called w w w. networking.com and your page is called johnb9

The address of your page would be
w w w.networking.com/johnb9

(I've inserted spaces between the w's in my illustration to stop our site automatically creating a 'click here' hyperlink)

I'm really foxed by your comment that you want a link to work "when someone clicks on it (via advert in a newspaper)" What does that mean? Hyperlinks only work on web pages, not newspapers.

If you can explain what you are trying to do in a little more detail I'll answer your question, but at the moment I'm afraid I can't begin to understand.

johnb9 16:14 03 Mar 08

Dear Editor
Sorry I missed your reply till now. By newspaper I meant publishing the domain name for people to read and then enter it on their web browser if they were interested
I have great interest in local history and would like to eventually set up a web page for same
Thanks for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video