Links not opening

prima12 18:08 11 Apr 04

Hi, Over the last few days I have had a problem opening up 'links' on webpages I have been looking at, this also applies to links in threads on this site. The bar at the bottom of the page that usually shows the page loading just stays blank and an hourglass on the screen. Could I have a problem or could it just be that the internet is very busy? P.

VoG II 18:11 11 Apr 04

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Copy this, paste into address bar, remove the space after // and click Go.

Follow the instructions.

prima12 18:21 11 Apr 04

Thanks VoG, just one other thing, I have noticed that if I press 'Stop' while the page is trying to load and then press 'Refresh' the page loads.

VoG II 18:23 11 Apr 04

This may not be the same as the problem addressed in the Microsoft article in that case. However, it won't do any harm to try the MS method.

prima12 18:49 11 Apr 04

Went through the procedure that MS suggested and the file ws located but hasn't eased the situation, I tried with the other dll's but get the message, This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in 'My Computer' by clicking 'View' and then clicking 'Folder Options'. I don't really understand what that means.

VoG II 18:52 11 Apr 04

Did you type in

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll

etc? The MS article is not particularly clear.

prima12 18:54 11 Apr 04

No I didn't, as you say it's not that clear, I'll try again. Don't go away.

prima12 19:02 11 Apr 04

Done that, the only file that I got a message on was Oleaut.dll, and the message was 'Load library failed GetLastError returns 0x00000485. Would this file be on the W98se disc, and could I extract it from there?

VoG II 19:05 11 Apr 04

Yes - click here explains how.

prima12 19:23 11 Apr 04

VoG, I might be a little thick, and I do have problems interpreting some of the MS jargon but I'm not having a lot of luck restoring this file.

VoG II 19:25 11 Apr 04

OK, try a repair of IE instead - this is straightforward click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…