links on IE10 to new tabs will not open

Tim 21:55 20 Sep 13

I have a problem with IE10 on Windows 7 64bit. When I click on a link that should open in a new tab, I just got a blank tab opening.

I tried repairing IE10

I also tried running the suggested registry fixes for Internet Explorer here click here this not fix the problem

I eventually managed to get round this problem by amending the registry entry HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\TabProcGrowth to 0.

However the side effect is that the IE10 tabs will only operate in 64bit mode, as that is a result of this registry entry being set to 0.

This means that I cannot use Internet Explorer plugins that will only work in 32bit.

Has anybody any suggestions how I can overcome this problem with opening up in new tabs.

Thanks, Tim Edwards

However

Tim 22:54 21 Sep 13

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have tried Compatibility Mode and it makes no difference.

I have also checked and I do not have the AGV Toolbar.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my Virus program.

Thanks, Tim Edwards

Tim 21:25 22 Sep 13

Thanks for your suggestions.

For your info I used to have McAfee which I got through BT. However I had to get rid of it a little while ago, as after an update my computer would no longer connect to the internet. I was recommended Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

I have now downloaded Malwarebytes as per your suggestion. It found just two suspect pieces of malware. PUP.Optional.Bandoo and PUP.Optional.OpenCandy

I removed them as recommended. However it has not solved my problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Tim 21:07 23 Sep 13

Yes, I did use the proper uninstaller from the McAfee website.

The problem arose several months after starting to use MSE, so I don't think that changing virus protection programs had anything to do with it.

Any more thoughts?

northumbria61 22:01 23 Sep 13

Have you checked your IE Internet OPTIONS? Under Tools-Internet Options-General-Tabs-Settings-When a New Tab is opened, open: Check box to see Blank Page is not selected.

Tim 23:17 23 Sep 13

Have checked my IE Internet Options as suggested and The New Tab Page is selected. (NB. all tab settings are as the default)

Any more thoughts?

northumbria61 10:29 24 Sep 13

Tim - Any more thoughts? Not at the moment.

I am on Win 7 64bit although I don't use IE very much, Firefox is my main browser. I do remember having some little problems with IE10 when I updated but I don't think it was to do with tabbing - however I reverted to IE9 and have no problems when I do use it. Maybe it is something worth considering.

Tim 19:51 24 Sep 13

northumbia61, Your comments remind me that this problem originally started whilst I was using IE9. The 32bit version of IE9 gave the same tabbing problem, but 64bit version worked OK.

However going back to the 64bit version of IE9 would give no benefits to my current work around as they both would need 64bit plugins.

Also having thought about it, I think that this problem also started whilst I was still using McAfee - not after, as I said previously

Tim

northumbia61, Your comments remind me that this problem originally started whilst I was using IE9. The 32bit version of IE9 gave the same tabbing problem, but 64bit version worked OK.

However going back to the 64bit version of IE9 would give no benefits to my current work around as they both would need 64bit plugins.

Also having thought about it, I think that this problem also started whilst I was still using McAfee - not after, as I said previously

Tim

Tim

Tim 19:52 24 Sep 13

northumbia61,

Your comments remind me that this problem originally started whilst I was using IE9. The 32bit version of IE9 gave the same tabbing problem, but 64bit version worked OK.

Tim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac