links in e-mails

colinb1604 16:37 12 May 08

for some reason I am unable to connect to links in e-mails to sites on the web etc. it is happening in windows mail and incredimail, so there must be something in my settings which is causing this. I have only had vista loaded for a week and have had to set everything up again, but I think this has just started today, but I cant be sure. any simple ideas for a simpleton. cheers

Ditch999 16:41 12 May 08

My advice would be never click on a link in an email! They can very easily be spoofed. Type it in to the address bar.

colinb1604 16:47 12 May 08

Thank you I realise that but I am talking about links such as the one from pc advisor e-mail which gives you links to different topics etc

VoG II 16:49 12 May 08

Start > Run > enter

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

and then click OK.

colinb1604 17:00 12 May 08

Thank you, but in vista I press start, but see no run. i think I could do that in xp. I have just noticed there is an absolute beginners forum maybe I should be on that cheers

VoG II 17:09 12 May 08

Right-click on the Start menu and choose Properties;
Select the Start Menu tab and click on the Customize... button;
Ensure the "Run command" option is checked.

colinb1604 17:47 12 May 08

sorry for delay, when I did as you suggested, the task bar froze and i had to switch off. On restart it did a chkdsk, and I put regsvr32 urlmon.dll in and it said it was successful, but I still cant link out of the e-mail cheers

T0SH 17:52 12 May 08

System restore back to an available date last week ?

Cheers HC

colinb1604 17:58 12 May 08

thank you I will try. what would we do without it cheers

colinb1604 19:38 13 May 08

Just as a matter of interest I searched another forum and came up with the answer. The problem was caused because internet explorer was no longer my default program. I had firefox on my computer but uninstalled it because of problems. I assumed that internet explorer would be my default but that is not the case, and as soon as I reset it my links in e-mails worked again cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now