Linking two routers wirelessly

spinemaligna 10:52 02 Dec 07

My ADSL modem is in one part of my house and feeds a Belkin N1 router running WPA encryption. This in turn links a PC running XP, 2 laptops running Vista, an XBox 360 and a PS3. I just manage to connect to a Linksys USB network adaptor on the other side of the house. This connects to a laptop.
My query is can I substitute the Linksys adaptor for a Belkin FSD 6231 router which will then allow me to wireless network the other side of the house including XP PCs and print server. The alternative would seem to be to run CAT 5 between the two routers but that will entail a great deal of upheaval and may not be sanctioned by the "Boss".

Thanks in anticipation,

Ross

Kemistri 19:34 02 Dec 07

I have not yet seen a router that can function as a wireless range extender, though they may be available. Most folk would just buy a range extender instead, I think, if their better half doesn't like wires!

spinemaligna 13:54 03 Dec 07

I am considering going down the mains plug lan route since that seems to answer most of my problems.

Thanks for your reply

Ross

ambra4 10:28 07 Dec 07

Check this posting

click here

The Regster 11:10 07 Dec 07

I had a spare Linksys WRT54g wireless router after I moved house and from cable to adsl.

I found some good (free) firmware on the web that converts the router into a wireless bridge. This now mimics my own Belkin router, allowing me to connect my xbox to the net without a cat 5 cable running through the house. There are 3 spare ethernet ports so I could connnect another 3 devices with cables.

I'm not sure if anyone has written similar firmware for your Belkin - I can't see anything in the links below. However, you can pick up working WRT54g's from ebay for a tenner (click here £30 will get you a new one - maybe reconditionned. All you need so then is flash the firmware yourself and the bridge is up and running.

Here's a link to some background, explaining the steps to flash...

click here

Here's the link to the firmware
click here

How to set it up once flashed...
click here

I hope it doesn't appear too complex, I am not very technical at all and got it working 1st time, so it's worth a go.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…