Linking two computers

Brock100 11:31 05 Oct 08

Hi all,
We have a desktop PC running XP and a laptop running Vista is there a simple way of connecting these to comps to share files etc between them,or is it imposable to do this between different systems

Thanks
Dave

Brock100 11:39 05 Oct 08

sorry I should have added we have a wireless Internet network in the house. It is AOL. just in case it makes a difference.

Dave

chub_tor 11:43 05 Oct 08

The different operating systems will not be a problem.

If both computers have ethernet connectors and all you want to do is share files then you can link them via a crossover ethernet cable.

If you want broadband internet connection as well then your best bet is to use a wired or wireless router.

For wired routers you will need regular ethernet cables one from the laptop to the router and one from the desktop to the router.

For wireless most people that I know have the desktop wired to the router and the laptop operating wirelessly.

Use the Windows Networking Wizard on each computer and follow the instructions for file and printer sharing.

Diemmess 11:56 05 Oct 08

chub_tor's advice works equally well with Aol for me.
I, like most, use the direct ethernet connection to the PC, and the laptop wirelessly thoughout the house.

As chub_tor says - "If both computers have ethernet connectors and all you want to do is share files then you can link them via a crossover ethernet cable."

Brock100 20:17 05 Oct 08

Thanks for the help

Dave

Kia Ora 20:51 05 Oct 08

There is also a crossover USB cable that works well

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos