Linking pc with laptop

Mr "B" 17:01 19 Apr 06

I have purchased a laptop to replace my pc and now want to transfer information from one to the other as i am selling the pc. Can anyone tell me if there is any way of linking up the two so that i can transfer files from my documents on the pc to the my documents on the laptop?? Obviously i know i can put everything on disc but this seems a bit long winded.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 19 Apr 06

Do you have a network connection on each machine?

If so connect together with a "crossover cable" and enable file sharing, drag all required files from pc to laptop.

Mr "B" 17:53 19 Apr 06

How do you know if you have a network connection?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 19 Apr 06

click here look at the RJ45 port on the picture in the middle of the page.

Your laptop is almost sure to have one of these plus a smaller looking one (RJ11) to connect modem to telephone socket.

Some PC motherboards have these built in some times you need to buy a PCI card to fit approx £8

Mr "B" 18:52 19 Apr 06

Yes it has these, do i now have to get a 'crossover cable' if so where? and how do i enable file sharing? Sorry about a these questions!!

mgmcc 19:13 19 Apr 06

<<< do i now have to get a 'crossover cable' if so where? >>>

Network cables come in two types - "straight-wired" which are used to connect a PC's network adapter to a hub/switch/router and "crossover" which are for connecting two computers directly, "Network Adapter to Network Adapter". These are readily available at any computer store, PC World, Comet, even B & Q!

<<< how do i enable file sharing? >>>

After connecting the two PCs, you need to give them an IP address. Go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. Click "Use the following IP address" and give the first PC the address with Subnet Mask

Do the same with the second PC but give it the IP address and the *SAME* Subnet Mask of

As there is no internet involvement, the Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses can be left blank. If you have any firewall software installed it needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers.

Any folders that you want to have available over the network need to be set as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option.

Both computers need to be in the same Workgroup - right click "My Computer" select Properties and then the Computer Name tab.

If this has all gone according to plan, when you open "My Network Places" and expand the folder tree, each PC should see itself and the remote PC

[-]My Network Places
----[-]Entire Network
--------[-]Microsoft Windows Network
------------[-]{Workgroup Name}
----------------[+]{Name of first PC}
----------------[+]{Name of second PC}

Clicking the [+] beside the computer name should expand to show its "shared" folders.

anchor 13:01 20 Apr 06

Personally I would use a USB flash drive as the most easy method. They are not expensive and you would have it for future use.

Example for a 512Mb one:

click here

woodchip 13:11 20 Apr 06

I use a USB bridging cable click here

anchor 13:13 20 Apr 06

woodchip: Good suggestion.

woodchip 13:21 20 Apr 06

I use one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…