linking laptop to pc for file exchange

Flixbert 18:03 20 Feb 08

I have a laptop & a pc both on XP Home. I have bought a belkin connector that plugs into both for direct file exchange. I have plugged into both internet ports. I don't need to be online at the same time. I have tried via wizard on both, selecting both guest then host on several attempts. Keeps coming up Error modem. Both laptop & pc work on broadband no problem. Is this poss a firewall issue? Please advise & many thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 20 Feb 08

what communicator?

have you got a router?

Flixbert 11:59 21 Feb 08

Not sure.............I thought that this cable would do the job directly by just plugging the laptop to the pc. Many thanks so far.

2neat 12:55 21 Feb 08

think it needs to be a crossover cable for direct connection. Why not just share c:\ and then map drive via other pc?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:05 21 Feb 08

Both laptop & pc work on broadband no problem

Are they connected to the Broad band by the same router? if so they are networked then share the folder and amp the drive.

click here

click here

Flixbert 18:13 21 Feb 08

Not sure about all these terms. I believe it is a cross over cable...bought specifically for this job. I use the same modem for both laptop & pc but diconnect /reconnect the cable to either the laptop or pc according to which I want to use for internet access. I understood that the cable plugged directly between laptop & pc would allow for the free exchange of files without any further equipment. I have no need to be online internet with both laptop & pc at sametime. Perhaps I am making a mistake in thinking that a laptop & pc can just be joined together by a wire for free exchange of files between them (when off line). My digital camera can send pic files to my laptop so can't I just use a cable to link ;laptop & pc? Many thanks to all so far.

2neat 23:07 21 Feb 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…