linking desktop pc to two laptops

Rocker 21:12 11 Apr 06

hi everyone i got a prob i have setup a wireless network so my son and wifes laps can share my brodband and printer from my desktop running win xp. both laptops can use the internet ok and my wifes laptop allso running winxp can use my printer but my sons laptop running win 98se cant find my printer can anyone help please thanks

recap 20:32 14 Apr 06

If your XP machines are setup with NTFS file systems then the Windows 98se machines will not see them, as 98se uses FAT.

mgmcc 22:05 14 Apr 06

<<< If your XP machines are setup with NTFS file systems then the Windows 98se machines will not see them, as 98se uses FAT >>>

This is quite incorrect. While a Windows 98 PC would be unable to read an NTFS drive installed in it, the file system used by another computer in a network is immaterial. I have Windows 98SE, Windows XP, SuSE Linux and Mac OS x all communicating without a problem.

Also, a PC with Windows XP installed in a FAT32 partition can access an NTFS partition.

mgmcc 22:06 14 Apr 06

Can the Windows 98 PC access any "shared" folders in the PC which is hosting the printer? If not, has any firewall software been configured to allow access by the Win 98 PC?

In the Win 98 PC's Network Properties (right click Network neighborhood and select properties) check that you have installed:

- Client for Microsoft Networks
- File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

In that same Properties window, click the "File and Printer Sharing" button and ensure both boxes are ticked.

When the Win 98 PC is booted, do you get a prompt to enter a Username & Password for network access? You normally would do unless you are using Windows Logon in Network Properties. If you do, it is important to click OK in this and not to "Esc" or close the box, otherwise the network will be inaccessible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…