linking a button to change two frame pages

Jarvo 18:04 01 Feb 04

I have built a three frame site, top pain is banner, left pain nav buttons, main pain content.

Problem
I would like some of the buttons when pressed to change the nav buttons page (expanding the buttons) as well as changing the main pain. now I can get the button to do ether individuly but not both to gether. Any ideas

Button links needed

a href="employment_82_90.htm" target="main">

a href="navigation_ed.htm" target="contents">

I have tried combinations of , ; to join two ancor points into one. Ive tryed double ancors a.....> a.....>button /a> /a>

And I fear I may soon go mad :-)

Jarvo

PurplePenny 18:38 01 Feb 04

'Fraid I don't know about frames so can't help there.

I thought that you were using CSS? I wouldn't go messing with frames, they're a bit old fashioned now and a lot of people dislike them. Not good for accessibility either.

Penny

Taran 19:25 01 Feb 04

Microsoft document using FrontPage and JavaScript:

click here

JavaScript site tutorial:

click here

My own suggestion:

Forget frames unless your design brief absolutely must use them and no alternative design is suitable.

Good luck.

T

Jarvo 19:58 01 Feb 04

Hi

No files on you PP :-)

My problem is that some of my pages drop two screen depths and using pure tables as you scroll down the bottom you lose the nav buttons, leaving the left hand pain a bit bare and having to add a top link. so I thought I would give frames a go as this solves the problem. now getting a litle worried after your comments ( although very helpful) I am I going the best way about this task? I am trying to build a cv website and I am wanting to keep the background white and formating simple I have split my employment section into 3 pages but fear if I split them down into any more pages it will potentialy discurage the viewer of the site.

Many thanks

Jarvo

PurplePenny 11:21 02 Feb 04

So you want the left nav. column to stay put on the screen whilst the rest of the page scrolls? You can do that with CSS (but see note below). You need to enclose the section that should stay put in a div and use the CSS property "position" to tell it where it should go on the page e.g.:

position: fixed;
top: 10px;
left: 10px;

the top and left properties tell it where to fix it - 10 pixels from the top of the screen and 10 pixels from the left edge and fixed tels it to stay put.

BUT .... unfortunately IE for Windows doesn't treat this property correctly so it will only work in Mozilla, Netscape6+ and Opera7. IE5 for Mac does treat it correctly!!! To see the difference look at this page in IE and in one of the other browsers and notice what happens to the astronaut in the background:

click here

Personally I wouldn't worry about the left nav, not being there when you scroll. These days I think that people are used to having empty columns ... or maybe it is just that so many of the sites that I visit at work end up with empty left (and sometimes right) columns! Indeed I've just noticed that by the time we get this far down the page here on PCA, the two side columns are empty.

Penny

PurplePenny 11:24 02 Feb 04

Forgot to put *two* returns between the lines! The CSS example I've given should be in three lines.

tomleady 13:04 02 Feb 04

you have your current frameset (say, index.htm)

save that frameset as something else (it will retain teh top page link and the main content), then insert you new nav buttons into it.

then from your original frameset, link to the new one, and use "_parent" instead of _blank or _self, or whatever.

that way your new frameset is loading over the top of you current one.

hope that makes sense

Tom

tomleady 13:05 02 Feb 04

you have your current frameset (say, index.htm)

save that frameset as something else (it will retain teh top page link and the main content), then insert you new nav buttons into it.

then from your original frameset, link to the new one, and use "_parent" instead of _blank or _self, or whatever.

that way your new frameset is loading over the top of you current one.

hope that makes sense

(i try not to use frames. only got one site with them one so that the title (logo) is always visible in a top frame. but it has proved to be a bit of a bugger when it comes to search engines)

tom

tomleady 13:06 02 Feb 04

oops, two posts there. sorry bout that.

Jarvo 20:42 02 Feb 04

I have half built the site in two versions Frames and tables after showing a few friends both, the conclusion is go with the tables.

I must thank you all for your help, I have made made my usual mistake of trying to apply things I have not worked with as I build my site, but I learn quickly by my mistakes and you have saved me hours geting sidetracked on the web!

PP thanks for your input that's twice in one week
(by the way like the purple hair re PCA users photos. )

Jarvo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…