linking 2 routers

poheron 15:44 19 Aug 06

I currently have a Belkin adsl wireless modem/router, and I want to connect a 4 port router to the Belkin via an ethernet cable. Will this work for sharing the internet and, if so, does it matter if the second router does not support PPPoA, (I have a Static IP address if this helps).
Thanks in advance.

FelixTCat 17:39 19 Aug 06

poheron,

PPPoA is the way the adsl signal gets to your modem. From your modem it is an ethernet signal. You wouldn't expect your router to support PPPoA because it will never see it.

If your router has an uplink port, you may need a cross-over ethernet cable to connect it to the Belkin unless your router has auto-sensing ports.

A static IP address is irrelevant if you mean your internet (WAN) IP address. If your router has a static address you may have to change it.

Regards,

Felix

katebush 19:33 19 Aug 06

Just connect the WAN (or up-link) port of the router to one of the LAN ports of the modem/router - no cross cable is needed.

If you can disable routing on the router (so it will be a switch) it will be more efficient network topology.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…