Linked Excel object in Word - undo copy pending

GrahamP 18:51 11 Dec 03

I'm linking an Excel spreadsheet into a Word document (Office 97 on XP)as an icon so that when I double click on it within Word it opens the spreadsheet at a particular worksheet. The method for doing this according to Help is to open both, select the data within Excel, click copy, move to the Word document and Paste Special using Paste as Link

All well and good, except when the embedded object opens, the selection is still outlined either in black or by the migraine-inducing, flashing dotted lines.

How do I get rid of these so that someone opening the link isn't faced with them?

Thanks.

VoG II 19:05 11 Dec 03

All they have to do is click in an empty cell (black border) or press ESC (dotted line).

GrahamP 20:10 11 Dec 03

Granted, and I would have settled for that had I not once, without knowing how I did it, created a link without the aforesaid annoyances. I thought I might be able to do it by hitting Copy and then Esc but this appears to empty the clipboard. What seems strange is that ordinarily if I close a spreadsheet with a copy pending and then reopen, the status is reset but somehow the link preserves this status.

VoG II 21:11 11 Dec 03

Yes, sorry my earlier response was a bit of a cop-out. I don't know a way round it and, yes, pressing ESC in Excel deletes the contents of the clipboard.

GrahamP 13:31 12 Dec 03

I don't have a complete answer yet but having googled, I've come up with the following.

The flashing dotted lines (aka marquee or marching ants) disappear as soon as the office clipboard is emptied for this copy operation. So simply pressing ESC or closing the Excel spreadsheet ensures that next time the linked icon is double clicked, the spreadsheet will open without them.

The highlighted selection in the spreadsheet always appears when the linked icon is double clicked if it was inserted using select/copy/paste special. This is intriguing because if the spreadsheet is opened normally it doesn't show. The information about which cells were selected must be stored with the link. Deselecting the cells after the paste has no effect.

The only way I've found to cause the linked object to appear without the selection outlined is to use Insert/Object/Create from file/tick Link to file & Display as icon. This will always open the linked spreadsheet on the first worksheet.

To-date I haven't found a way of opening the linked spreadsheet at a second or subsequent worksheet without the selected cells being hihglighted. But I'm still looking.

Many thanks VoG for thinking about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…