//some 3rd party need geo

Link Lap top to PC Beginner diferent problem

graham-174206 18:37 28 Apr 05

I have tried the wizard, to connect two machines using xp.
I have tried wireless and cross over, but get the same fault no data received.
I always get a good connection, lights flashing. but if you check status the data is always transmitted but never receives. Same fault on both machines.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Forum Editor 23:29 28 Apr 05

that I understand you - what do you mean by "I always get a good connection, lights flashing. but if you check status the data is always transmitted but never receives".

Good connection to what? And what is transmitting the data, and to where?

Please explain again, in more detail.

graham-174206 08:05 29 Apr 05

As soon as i plug my crossover cable into both machines, i immediatly get the two PC icon,the icon pc's flicker. If i then go into connnect to, and select local area connection, it says enabled. click on it it says sent 10,34,99,etc but received 0. These details are repeated on both machines.

mgmcc 15:30 29 Apr 05

I'm not sure what you are trying to do by connecting the two PCs.

If you are wanting to share the "host" PC's internet connection, you need to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual connection to the modem. This will automatically configure the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The "client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does from the "host".

If you are not using "ICS" but just networking them for File/Printer Sharing, you need to allocate fixed IP addresses to the two network adapters such as:

PC1 - 192.168.0.1

PC2 - 192.168.0.2

with the SAME subnet mask address of 255.255.255.0 for both.

If you have a software firewall such as Zone Alarm installed, you need to enter the IP addreeses of the networked PCs in the "trusted" area.

If/when enabling "Internet Connection Sharing" in the "host" PC, make sure that you only have one network adapter enabled (either the Local Area Connectiuon or the Wireless Adapter) otherwise the fixed IP address of 192.168.0.1 might be allocated to the wrong network connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…