link to a cell

jcotton 17:15 13 Oct 05

Hi all,

I have table with two cells. In the first cell it has a link. When the link is pressed i want the page to be displayed in the second cell

I have made a test page to make it more clear what i want to do click here

How do I do it?

Cheers

smudge101 17:43 13 Oct 05

I think you really need to do this in an IFrame.
There is an example that you can adapt here:
click here

jcotton 17:53 13 Oct 05

ok i have read about iFrames but how do i tell the hyperlink that i want the target 2 be the iFrame and not a new windows

smudge101 18:04 13 Oct 05

Inline frames can be used as targets for links. An inline frame can be named using the name attribute. This implies that when a link with a target attribute with that name as value is followed, the linked resource is opened in the inline frame. (Note that target names should be case-insensitive, but browsers are known to get this wrong, so be careful with the spelling.) In particular, the href attribute of a link can contain, after a URL proper, a fragment identifier (like #foo), referring to a particular location in a document. There is an example of this above. (Try following the links in the "table body" frame.) However, specifying a location with a fragment identifier seems to fail on printing.

If the browser does not support inline frames and there is no frame or window with the specified name, such a link will cause a new window to be opened, with that name (or the linked resource to be opened in the current window, depending on the browser). So using target attributes referring to inline frames is "safe".

If a link in a document displayed in an inline frame is followed, normal rules apply so that the default target (where the linked document is shown) is that inline frame. This can be overridden using the target attribute; in particular, target="_top" means that the linked document is to be opened in the full window. Note that the default target for links in a document can be set using the base element, e.g.
<base target="_top">
which generally acts as partial "protection against framing".

Since documents in inline frames are treated as separate documents, the destination (href) of each link in a document is interpreted independently of the situation that the document appears inside an inline frame. For example, a reference like href="#foo" refers to location named foo in that document, not in the embedding document. So the example discussed above uses, when providing a link from inside an inline to a location named target in this main document, not only target="_top" but also href="iframe.html#target" instead of href="#target". (It can use the relative URL iframe.html though, since in this case the embedded document resides in the same directory, therefore with the same path part in its URL, as the embedding document.)

smudge101 19:45 13 Oct 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5