Lines down screen!

Squarehed 21:32 28 Sep 04

Hi, my computer first started having these symptoms yesterday evening.

basically, there are lines down the screen, i cant really describe them, apart from they kind of fragment the picture behind. I'll try and upload a screen to a site. But hopefeully you can help me now. They are 5 columns, these go through lots of little rows, and are more dense when the rows AND columns meet. On a white screen these lines are yellow, on blue theyre deeper blue.

Please could somebody help. The lines seem to show up in screen shots. So my hunch is something to do with the PC itself. The monitor's menu shows up fine as well. I checked the connection from PC to monitor, blew dust out. I haven't looked insid ethe PC itself yet. My hunch is there's something amiss inside the PC, god knows what. Maybe graphics card related.

Here's all my specs if u need them for whatever reason:

3 gig P4 HT
ATI READEON 9800 Pro
1024 mb DDR SDRAM
Audigy 2
Anything else you need i'd be happy to supply the info on.

Thanks in advance!

Squarehed

rabies 23:23 28 Sep 04

I don't know too much about it but before you do anything too drastic check for simple things first like checking that you haven't put peripheral transformers too close to the monitor, this can affect the display,something similar happened to me once.

Valvegrid 07:08 29 Sep 04

It sounds like graphics card related. Do as rabies says and make sure there are no PSU's for say the printer near the monitor, although usually they make the screen wobbly, but you never know.

Try starting in safe mode, this should not install the graphics driver, if its OK in safe mode try re-installing the graphics diver. Have you installed any programs recently? The only other thing I can think of is to switch the computer off and lift the lid and make sure the graphics card hasn't worked loose.

Squarehed 07:46 29 Sep 04

I turned it on this morning. It was fine up until right now! thanks ill try that.

Squarehed 08:35 29 Sep 04

It went bad when the phone rang :( I've disconnected and moved the phone. So, when i get back tonight it should work. It did the first time i booted it up this mornin after fone disconnection. So fingers crossed! will get back to ya!

Valvegrid 08:36 29 Sep 04

"It was fine up until right now!"

Are you saying it starts OK then the lines appear after a period of time? If this is the case, do they suddenly appear or do they appear gradually? It might give some bearing on the problem. One could be a heat problem, the other could be an intermittent electrical problem.

Valvegrid 08:37 29 Sep 04

OK, good luck, I'm at work at the moment, I'll check back lunch time.

Squarehed 19:39 29 Sep 04

Well, it hasnt worked. It did start just the once, fine and then went bad. But now it just starts with the screwed up screen.

When i go into BIOS, it doesnt have the screwed up bit, but the DELL sign and the WINDOWS XP home edition are screwed up...So i hope to god that when i open the top and push the graphics card bak in itll work!
the warranty on it expired 11 days AGO :'-(

Valvegrid 20:00 29 Sep 04

"warranty on it expired 11 days AGO"

Tut, tut, Isn't it always the way. I don't what the other guy's think, I wonder if its worth taking the graphics card out while you've got the lid off and enabling the on board graphics to eliminated the graphics card and see what happens. Wait first, because I'm not sure how XP reacts if you do that 'cos I don't use XP.

I'll keep an eye on here to see how you get on.

Squarehed 20:07 29 Sep 04

Well, all i did was take the cover off and look in... then was too scared to do anything without my dad... Coz if i knackered it he'd blow his top! He isn't techie (nor am i really, compared to you guys!) so he doesn't like doing this. but now i turn it back on and it works :S

WOW! hope it stays like this. no doubt it'll come back! but hey! im gonna make the most of it.

Squarehed 20:12 29 Sep 04

UPDATE:

I can see the liney-ness creeping into some icons in the start menu, :'( not now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…