Lines across laptop screen

Knocker 16:57 28 Jun 04

My Compaq Armada M700 laptop running Win 98 has developed some horizintal lines across the upper part of the screen. The first line seemed to appear after closing an Excel worksheet. Since then another 5-6 lines have appeared all clustered together. They have what looks like a "reflection" of whatever is below them on the screen.(if I knew how to add a picture into this message box it would help). Any ideas? Is it a hardware or software problem? The screen is currently usable but any more lines will begin to interfere with the worksheets, the main use of the machine

Diodorus Siculus 17:10 28 Jun 04

Are they there when you boot into safe-mode? What about changing the graphics display drivers? Or changing the resolution?

These steps will determine whether it is hardware or software problems.

Diodorus Siculus 17:10 28 Jun 04

Are they there when you boot into safe-mode? What about changing the graphics display drivers? Or changing the resolution?

These steps will determine whether it is hardware or software problems.

Knocker 10:50 29 Jun 04

Yes, the lines appear as soon as the screen boots, when starting in Safe Mode and when changing the resolution. I have not yet tried changing the drivers. I will need to download them via my house PC and transfer via floppy/CD.

Sapins 10:59 29 Jun 04

Hi Knocker, I had a similar problem with my desktop, rows of multi coloured dots across the screen. Sometimes a few rows sometimes lots, I changed the graphics card, no more dots since. May be a last solution after looking into drivers etc:

Regards,

Sapins.

Diodorus Siculus 12:40 29 Jun 04

As it is there upon boot up, I would think it may be a hardware problem.

Knocker 15:56 29 Jun 04

I'll update the driver and see what happens. If no change I guess it will have to be a new card. I wonder if I could convince the wife I need a new laptop??????

Diodorus Siculus 16:24 29 Jun 04

I don't know how you will change the "card" in a laptop... have you tried to connect an external monitor?

Knocker 21:25 01 Jul 04

I have downloaded and installed the latest driver from Compaq, but there is no change, so I guess I have a hardware problem. I assume the graphics are part of the motherboard. Is this repairable or is it a replacement job?

Knocker 16:53 16 Aug 04

I also sought help from the HP Forum website. Through them I found a second hand screen on Ebay and the relevant maintenance manual. I replaced the screen in 15 minutes and at a tenth of the cost of a replacement. My thanks to all who helped

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…