Line space in Word 2000

jacksony 10:01 13 May 04

I am using Word 2000.

At the end of a paragraph, I like to press enter, which puts a line space in the document, that looks something like a backwards “p”.

Someone sent me a document recently that has a left pointing arrow, with a tail that looks like a clock’s hands at 9 oclock, instead of this backwards “p”.

What is it, and how can I change it to my usual line space? Many thanks.

You can see a picture of the things I described here:

click here

I want to change "number 2" into "number 1".

Rigga 10:10 13 May 04

In word, if you wish to move to a new line but keep within the same paragragh then you can hit shift return, this gives you the arrow you are describing.

Whereas you are just hitting return, which ends the paragragh, and gives you the ¶ symbol.

So if you just delete the funny arrow and hit the return key, you should be sorted. Although doing this will change the paragraph layout.

Rigga.

Terry Brown 10:13 13 May 04

Go to Control Panel,Regional settings and Language,ensure you settings are for UK , not US (default).This should sort the problem (there are 3 boxes, only the first two need to be checked, unless you have installed other language options
Terry

jacksony 10:26 13 May 04

Wow, thanks for the quick responses! My regional settings are set to UK not US.

I just wondered if there is an easy way in a Word document to change all the "shift returns" to just "returns"? Thanks

dave h 11:21 13 May 04

Go to Edit>Replace.
In the drop down box, put the cursor in the ‘Find What’ slot. Click on the ‘special’ box. From the list displayed select ‘Manual Line Break’. (Ignore the symbol that appears in the find slot).

Place the cursor in the ‘Replace With’ slot, and select ‘Paragraph mark' from the ‘Special’ menu. (Ignore the symbol that appears in the find slot).

Click on ‘Replace all’

That should do it

jacksony 12:15 13 May 04

Yes, thats worked brilliantly. Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…