Line down screen of laptop

ninky4 15:00 14 Feb 12

Please can anyone tell me why I am getting a red line about an inch wide down the centre of the screen on my Dell laptop and how I can get rid of it. Many thanks

Sea Urchin 15:17 14 Feb 12

Sounds like your screen is suffering a problem with dead pixels. Try pressing (gently) with your thumbs at the top and bottom of the line - if it temporarily disappears then that probably confirms the problem. The cure would be a new screen.

onthelimit1 16:39 14 Feb 12

As it's such a wide band, I think it likely to be the screen, but could be the graphics chip. Neither are a cheap fix!

Sea Urchin 17:00 14 Feb 12

I agree with onthelimit1 that one inch is unusually wide for a pixel problem - it would tend to be a narrow line. So maybe a graphics problem.

onthelimit1 18:12 14 Feb 12

Nothing to lose - I've remembered a similar problem on a Sony which was cured by releasing/re-inserting the ribbon cable from mobo to screen. Needs a bit of dismantling, though. If you post the model, I can point you to a Service Manual so you can decide if you're up to it or not.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:20 14 Feb 12

try an external monitor if still same then graphics driver or chip us

First try reinstalling or updating your graphics drivers

If OK on external then try reseating the screen cable as previously suggested

after that it looking like a bad screen abot £70 for a new one if you change yourself (easy enough) £100+ for a shop to do.

ninky4 10:37 16 Feb 12

I want to thank you all for the help, I have tried all you suggested and it does seem as though it is the screen that has gone so I now have to decide whether to have a new screen or go mad and buy a new laptop. I think Dell have a special offer on that they give you £150 for your old one towards the cost of a new one so may have a look at that. Again thank you all for you help, it is so good to know that there are people like you ready to help us. All the best Jean

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…