line break in mysql

harristweed 11:21 07 Mar 05

I store text in a mysql database via a form with a text box.

Any carriage returns are lost when the text is later retrieved and displayed on a web page. So i lose formating and the text is not easily read. Yet when I retrieve and display the text in a form text box the formating and line breaks are in the correct places again.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can retain the formatting (carriage returns) in the web page?

I know I can get around this by placing b r / > in the text but as I want other users to input text, this is not ideal.

LeadingMNMs 18:14 07 Mar 05

The problem here is that HTML ignores white space, and hence you lose all newlines. Although I have never done this, I think you'll have to go through the input / output and replace all newline characters (ASCII 10, or the character '\n') with a <br /> tag.

It may help if you can let us know what 'language' you are using to handle the form input and retrieval of information.

harristweed 19:13 07 Mar 05

Thanks for taking the time to help.

I'm using PHP to insert data into a mysql database.

The text box posts to itself to insert in to the database.

"< form enctype="multipart/form-data" <?php echo " ACTION=\"$_SERVER[PHP_SELF]\" METHOD=POST"; ?>>" (i'm uploading photo's in the same form.

You can see the results here (not finished yet)

click here

Is there a php function that can retain the carridge returns, similar to addslashes?

I can go through and add html breaks manually, but there must be a better way

Matt45 20:04 07 Mar 05

There certainly is a PHP function to do this. I assume that you insert query will be similar to:

INSERT INTO tblname VALUES '$field1','$field2','$field3'

In order to retain the lines breaks and replace new lines automatically with <br> values you just need to add nl2br($fieldname) where fieldname is the name of the field that has the multiple lines in so it would look something like this.

INSERT INTO tblname VALUES '$field1','$field2',nl2br($field3)

Hope that makes sense

harristweed 08:49 08 Mar 05

Many thanks Matt

INSERT INTO tblname VALUES '$field1','$field2',nl2br($field3)

did not work!

However:

$field3=nl2br($field3);

INSERT INTO tblname VALUES '$field1','$field2','$field3'

did the job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…