Limtied or no connectivity - WHAT THAT???

Not a Scooby 13:06 28 Jun 05

Help,

I have broadband and have recently been upgrade by NTL to 2mb. I don't think that has anything to do with the problem but thought it might be worth mentioning.

The problem is that within the last 2 weeks i have started having problems. When I turn on I get a message saying I have 'Limited or no connectivity' so cannot access the internet. the computer is asigning a 169 IP address but won't repair it - it says try speaking to your internet provider.

I did speak to them and the guy told me he ran a test and it wasn't the cable, it was my PC. He got me to go to run and type 'CMD', and then type in a command which I can't remember all of -it contained 'Catalog Reset'.

Anyway that seemed to work but now it's playing up again.

The NTL guy said it's a window's XP issue so if it persists I have to get it fixed. Is this correct? Can anyone help me here.

I run a P4 3.06GHZ on XP with SP2 installed. Had that installed ages ago with no problems at the time. Don't really want to have to totally re-install my PC if I can avoid it.

Graham ® 13:32 28 Jun 05

Is this it click here?

Not a Scooby 13:56 28 Jun 05

Sounds like it might be. i'll give it a go. I have downloaded the progrma to disk to take home. naything else I should know aobut it. i have read through and will follow the instructions.

I don't think the command line I put in before from the NTL guy was the same as any of this, but similar. I did remove some spyware recently, which might be related to the problem I guess.

Graham ® 14:39 28 Jun 05

Only other suggestions would be System Restore to before the troubles, or System File Checker - Run command 'sfc /scannow'

Not a Scooby 16:30 28 Jun 05

Tried a system restore but no success. Also did a surface scan and no issues found.

Thanks for all the help - if anyone else has any idea let me know. I'll try WinSock fix tonight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…