limiting internet access on a networked PC

kenwyn 06:23 04 Jun 06

I am about to set up a wireless network between our 'family PC' & my son's new PC, which will be tucked away in his bedroom. One of the advantages is that we will no longer have to timeshare a single PC, as he can then access the internet from his room. My question is - how can I limit/stop his access to certain undesirable areas of the net, and also stop him downloading stuff which may be illegal/ virus laden etc. Will the network settings give me that authority, or is there something in the XP settings, or do I need extra software? I don't want him to be able to turn off any security, from his bedroom PC. look forward to all your advice as usual.

reburner57 08:53 04 Jun 06

I have linksys router and this allows to me to set certain access settings on each pc on the netwrok. Not that sophisticated though. It also allows you to specify access times. Your ISP may also provide additional software to restrict access for children.

wint 09:20 04 Jun 06

How about NetNanny? click here

Looking at the information page, click here it appears to do what you want & is password protected.

NetNanny is one of the bigger names in the field although there are others.

Ivor_Monkey 10:35 04 Jun 06

In MHO these filters are not very effective and are often counter productive. For example, using the pc for homework for biology or English literature could be blocked because of crude filtering software. Some sites that may be suitable for say 15 year olds could insist on 18 year old settings just to cover themselves. Counter productive because they do not teach the son much (see below).

I think the best system is the encourage our sons to identify and manage risks themselves. Help them to be aware of the latest risks -viruses, spams, phishing, identify and financial frauds etc - and how to handle them. As regards ubdesirable sites, they must learn to exercise discipline and realise that what is illegal offline is illegal online.And that they leave electronic footprints.

Equally, I think as parents we should not get too parnoid. If something undesirable has been downloaded onto the pc, we should not automatically assume that it was done deliberately. Adopting a no blame approach would encourage them to report problems without fear that an occassional accident will cause them to lose the pc.

I'm still learning to manage things my end and don't claim to have it sorted, but i hope this is useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…