Limiting a child's time online

Mikeonfreeserve 22:19 01 Oct 07

Is there any free software which I could install on my son's pc, which has wi-fi net access, to limit his time online on school nights?

Ideally, to control from the main (family) pc downstairs.

We are on Orange broadband.

Devil Fish 22:23 01 Oct 07

you may be able to do it through your router

my linksys allows you to input the mack address of a specific pcs network device and the input the times that machine can or can't access the net

maybe worth a look at your router manual

SANTOS7 22:25 01 Oct 07

Why leave it to software, why not just tell him how long he can have and how to devide his loyalties to the internet/homework/other activities.
Kids and software HMMM! first thing they are going to do is find a way to bypass it..
I think you are going to have to be firm but fair if you think your son is spending too much time on his PC....

X™ 22:32 01 Oct 07

Reminds me of the time my dad put some software on our PC. He was all happy and confident I couldn't go around it with a password. 4 Minutes later, I had booted into DOS, renamed the Software's root folder, and hey, my dad wasn't too happy about the software that he would of payed for.

X™ 22:34 01 Oct 07

Although, Net OP is good, it's not free though, schools use it, but if you disconnect the Wifi card or cable for 3 seconds and plug it back in, most "Control from other PC" software fails.

Harsh I know, but other then phisicly yanking out the cable, "whats made by man, can be bypassed my kids"

Just our generation. :P

Ashrich 22:52 01 Oct 07

I think Devil Fish is on the right track , depending on your wireless router you may well be able to put time constraints on his wireless card via it's MAC address , have a look in your routers set up , it should be under " schedules " or suchlike , and have a strong user name and password for access to the router otherwise it will be changed in the blink of an eye .....

Ashley

bluto1 22:59 01 Oct 07

I agree completely with SANTOS 7. If the kid is a teenager it's going to be a matter of trust. If younger then it's the right time to start building that trust. Deliberately putting an electronic stop is going to send a dreadful message, but if there have been major problems with the child/teenager in the past, or schoolwork is suffering, then an explanatory word from Mum or Dad is going to go a fair way. I know it's difficult, and we were all kids once, but like the man said "It's because I was a kid myself etc etc..."
Best of luck

DJ-Garry 23:07 01 Oct 07

OOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the differing moral issues of parenting coming to light from everyone.

Bald Eagle 07:39 02 Oct 07

Get an electrician to reroute the feed to his bedroom? sockets via a switch in the room you spend the evening in! Hey presto, your times up, flick the switch.

Having brought up 2 youngsters myself trust doesn't come into it, they do as they are told.

BE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5