Limiting children on the PC

lisa02 18:33 06 Sep 06

I remember on the macs at school everything was disable and all we could access was files we saved and the applications we needed... Can it be done for windows XP?

I have this vision of a plain desktop with just icons for her own software and a logoff/shutdown shortcut. My computer, network places, IE and the taskbar completely removed - so I don't have to keep loading software for her, she can just click away.

johnnyrocker 18:42 06 Sep 06

simply create a limited user account from users in add remove progs in control panel

johnny.

lisa02 18:49 06 Sep 06

That still gives access to all the features and other programs. I only want to let her access games and educational stuff from icons on a desktop, nothing else.

She's 4yr old and I'd like to set it up so she clicks her photo and logs in to find a desktop with nothing other than the icons for her software and a log off button.

woodchip 18:55 06 Sep 06

You can personalise it by removing them Hide Cortrol Panel and such

lisa02 19:40 06 Sep 06

I don't know, I have tried every option, I can't remove the taskbar and all that comes with it from her account. I can choose to hide it but as soon as the wandering mouse goes near that area up it comes.

lisa02 19:41 06 Sep 06

I'm thinking third party software.

brundle 19:52 06 Sep 06

you may find this useful for removing access to windows features click here

johnnyrocker 19:57 06 Sep 06

net nanny or such from pc world?

johnny.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:41 06 Sep 06

XP pro or home?

Pro can be screwed down to what you want (have a works laptop like it).

1. make her a limited account

2. remove all the shortcuts from her start menu/ desktop you don't want her to access.

Jackcoms 20:42 06 Sep 06

As jonnyrocker says, create a limited account for your child.

Then, go to C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Start Menu/Programs.

Move every one of the program short cuts to C:/Documents and Settings/Your user name/Start Menu/Programs.

This has now removed access to all programs from your child and given you access to everything.

Go back to the list of programs under your user name and copy the shortcuts of whichever programs you are happy for your child to use to C:/Documents and Settings/Child's user name/Start Menu/Programs.

Your child will now be able to access those limited number of programs from his/her Start; All Programs menu.

Now password-protect your user account so that your child cannot get into it.

lisa02 21:08 06 Sep 06

I probably will just remove all the shortcuts as decribed though I was hoping to have it in such a way that the taskbar is completely removed.

Thank you very much for your responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…