Limited user account for surfing?

GrahamP 11:33 28 Jan 04

I've seen this recommended on the grounds that if I surf from an administrator account then any malicious script/virus can do more damage with administrator privileges.

I've tried this and find it a real pain. Does anyone else and if you do, how do you minimise the inconvenience of switching users when you want to do anything administrative?

Thanks.

Chegs ® 12:35 28 Jan 04

I have always used XP with only one user(no admin/guest/restricted user)Its often talked about in various articles,but I have had virus/trojans hit my machine,and do the same to my pc as those who have restricted access accounts.I tried setting up a restricted account on my daughters pc,but due to the Fraggles nagging,I deleted it and others(guest,etc)If the setup suits you,do it,but if not then dont(paranoia?)

Kitz E Kat 18:38 28 Jan 04

I dunno what os you are using i assume XP home?
I had XP home but upgraded to XP pro, amongst the benifits is that you can set a *power user* ( i hate that phrase!!) , but is better than the limited account in XP home..

Also you can do admin things in the power user account , using the *run as* which lets you enter the admin password and carry out whatever you want to do , IE, load a proggie, change a system setting etc...

This overcomes the restrictions of a limited user..which is seriously limited !!!

And i agree it's a pain , when i had XP home i tried the limited user account and quickly gave up!!!!!
Far to annoying to use , so either upgrade to XP pro ( which i recommend it's far more secure) or forget the whole idea !!!!!!

Good luck

GrahamP 00:21 29 Jan 04

Thanks for your replies. Much as I suspected it's not something that people bother about.

I am using XP Pro so thanks for the reminder about "run as". Limited accounts have this as well so that removes some of the pain. It's little annoyances like not being able to select a power profile, or adjust date and time, that are wearing me down.

Other advice I've received is that most of the restrictions are to do with file access and that tracking these down and explicitly granting access will cure them

Ho hum, something for a quiet night.

VoG II 00:27 29 Jan 04

If you have a firewall and up-to-date anti-virus I don't think that you need worry.

I had a bad experience with password protecting my old PC a few years ago (I won't bore you with the details but even I managed to defeat Microsoft's protection). Now I have a single account in XP with admin priviledges that three of us use. No problems except when I fiddle with it!

GrahamP 00:48 29 Jan 04

By the way, I had imagined you as a long-haired shaggy-bearded sysprog. Shattered illusions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…