Limited or no connectivity -help, complete novice!

kcmcme 19:04 22 Nov 05

Hello

I am having big problems with my wireless network upstairs. It has been working fine for the past few months since I got it but recently it has been stating it has limited or no connectivity when attempting to dial up i guess.

The signal on the little reciever is fine, and obviously the internet down here is all great so i was wondering if any of you could help me?

I am usuing a linksys home box if that helps. Thank you in advance - dads away and he normally fixes this kind of thing,
Kate

mgmcc 20:09 22 Nov 05

I don't know what a "Linksys home box" is - a "router" perhaps?

In general terms, the "Limited or No Connectivity" error means that the network adapter, in this case the wireless adapter in your upstairs computer, has been unable to get its IP address from the DHCP server (the router if that's what you are connecting to) and so Windows has allocated its address instead. When Windows does this, it gets an address in the 169.254.x.x range, which results in Limited or No Connectivity, hence the error.

When first switching on, the "Linksys home box" should be running before the PC is booted, so that (1) the wireless adapter can connect to the network and (2) the wireless adapter can get its IP address.

If you are using Windows XP, what you can do is to open the Network Connections folder, double click the "Wireless Network Connection" and select the Support tab and click the Repair button. This should force the adapter to renew its IP address and, if it can find the DHCP server, it should then get its proper address, probably in the 192.168.x.x range.

kcmcme 20:24 22 Nov 05

Ah thanks for the reply, it won't reapir it for some reason, it says it can't...

Is there a support line to phone that you know of?

mgmcc 20:43 22 Nov 05

I don't know of a support line.

Try opening the wireless adapter's software, get the Site Monitor to do a fresh scan for "Available Networks" and then "connect" to your network. A fresh connection might just solve the problem. It sounds as though the wireless adapter isn't actually finding the Linksys box at the moment.

kcmcme 19:06 23 Nov 05

Right, I have left it another day in the hope that it would resolve but no! So I checked the IP address for each computer. The host (main one) has an IP of 192.168.1.64 and the upsatirs one has an IP of 169.254.225.81. I heard somewhere on here that they have to be within a certain range of eachother so I'm not sure if that gives anyone any clues as to the problem.

Many thanks, katie

mgmcc 20:18 23 Nov 05

The upstairs computer has been unable to get its IP address from the router downstairs and Windows has allocated an address in the 169.254.x.x range. You will not be able to get online with that address. Try this:

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) and at the prompt, type:

IPCONFIG /ALL and press Enter.

This will display all of the adapters in the PC together with their details. You should see the network adapter that connects to the "host" PC by crossover cable. Now type:

IPCONFIG /RELEASE and press Enter.

This should release the IP addresses and set them to 0.0.0.0 Now type:

IPCONFIG /RENEW and press Enter.

This should force the adapters whose addresses have been released to acquire them again and, with luck, you might get a 192.168.0.x address.

mgmcc 20:21 23 Nov 05

Sorry, ignore the reference to a connection to the "host" PC by crossover cable. The instructions were copied/pasted from "a message I prepared earlier" - Blue Peter style ;-)

kcmcme 12:41 24 Nov 05

Hiya - little update, I am back up my computer so mgmcc your advice was spot on - thanks!

I renewed the IP address and it is all fixed - many thanks! I will set this to solved now

smc1 13:37 25 Dec 05

Hi I have the exact same problem, except, when i do what 'mgmcc' says, when i get to the step:

'IPCONFIG /RELEASE and press Enter'

It says it cannot do it because the Local Area Connection isn't on. But that's the whole problem. I need help as this is a Christmas present. Thanks to anyone who can help.

kennon 16:49 30 Jun 07

mgmcc,

if you're still checking up on this forum i'd like to bother you for a moment if that's alright.

i followed your advice of doing:
ipconfig/all
ipconfig/release
ipconfig/renew
and i got the following message:
"An error occurred when renewing interface Wireless Connection 5: Unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

many thanks in advance for any help you could provide

mgmcc 00:22 01 Jul 07

You need to start a new thread because the original poster will get email alerts about new replies to the discussion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…