Limited or no connectivity

joannef2474 18:27 26 Jun 09

I am having problems with the wireless connection on my pc. It connects fine whilst in the house but when I have moved this into an office outside (approx 30ft away) it won't connect and states limited connectivity. It then changes the IP address to 162... (presumably the default address). Is this simply down to the fact that the pc is too far away from the router?

Clapton is God 18:31 26 Jun 09

"Is this simply down to the fact that the pc is too far away from the router?"

Yes and any obstructions such as thick walls, trees, etc which are in between

woodchip 18:50 26 Jun 09

Is this wireless both in and out the house?

As to loosing connection, this can be that your router and wireless are not the best for boost connections. I use a old 3Com router and can get good signal through walls to out side up to about 80 to 100 ft

woodchip 18:52 26 Jun 09

If you move your router upstairs like where I have mine, you may get it to connect

joannef2474 19:28 26 Jun 09

Due to where my phone connection point is unfortunately I cannot move the router any closer. Would a better wireless network adaptor possibly work or is there anything else i could try, ie wireless repeater/signal booster?

woodchip 19:33 26 Jun 09

AS you have Mains in the Shed Why not use Mains network Adapter plugs? Rather than the Wireless click here

woodchip 19:38 26 Jun 09

You need as above a minimum of two plugs to connect one pc

joannef2474 19:42 26 Jun 09

Unfortunately i dont think this will work as the eletricity supply in the shed is on a different ring main to the one which the router is on

Woolwell 19:56 26 Jun 09

You could try changing the wireless channel. Some seem to give better range than others possibly due to less interference.

woodchip 19:56 26 Jun 09

that does not make no difference

Woolwell 20:05 26 Jun 09

woodchip that's odd since both MS and Netgear suggest it:
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5