Limited or no connectivity

polisher1 22:52 04 Jul 06

I've been reading all the posts on here I can find that seem relative to this problem but up to now nothing works. Here goes.
I bought a BT Voyager 2110 ADSL router modem to go wireless.I bought a wireless PCI Card and installed it into the desktop computer and it works perfectly,can access internet etc.My laptop is another problem. When I first bought it it came with a 3 COM pcmcia card which connected with the BT 2110 but as it was a slow one 11mbs I think,I decided to get a 54 mbs usb wireless dongle. Since I tried to use the usb wireless all I can now get is "limited or no connectivity" on them both. If I connect the laptop to the internet via the ethernet card it works perfect.
I've manually configured the tcp/ip addresses on the laptop and get an excellent signal notification but cannot get into internet via either i.e.6 or firefox.
I was told to try altering the wireless encryption key from ascii to Hex, I put a random 26 digit hex number as I didn't know what else to put in and this cut my desktop off the internet and I could'nt access the settings in the BT 2110 so I had to reset the 2110.
The Desktop is running XPhome sp2 and the laptop XP Pro. Both have Wireless Zero Config enabled.Any help would be gratefully received.

mgmcc 23:14 04 Jul 06

Firstly, disable all encryption until you have both network adapters connecting reliably. Don't allocate fixed IP addresses because, if there is a problem connecting with the router, this will just hide the fact.

<<< I put a random 26 digit hex number as I didn't know what else to put in and this cut my desktop off the internet and I could'nt access the settings in the BT 2110 so I had to reset the 2110. >>>

You shouldn't be configuring the wireless settings with a wireless connection for precisely the reason you've stated. It should be done with a "wired" ethernet connection.

Set both Wireless adapters back to automatic IP addressing, disable encryption and get Windows to scan for Available Wireless Networks. Then see if you can connect.

ade.h 23:29 04 Jul 06

"I put a random 26 digit hex number as I didn't know what else to put in and this cut my desktop off the internet and I could'nt access the settings in the BT 2110 so I had to reset the 2110."

Bad idea, as my fellow networker says. When the connection failed, your session stayed open, which prevented a subsequent session from being initiated.

It does sound like either an encryption issue or - perhaps more likely - a placement or interference issue. Once you get interference, you could be there all day trying to find the cause.

Take out all forms of security first, then move on to interference if necessary.

polisher1 09:46 05 Jul 06

I've reset everything back to obtain IP address automatically and moved the wireless router and all is now working. Thanks very much. I think Ade H has hit it on the head I have an interference problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…