Limited or no connectivity

Munira 12:04 30 Mar 06

Hello,

I have a brand new laptop. I have tried searching this site for other options before i posted this, but nothings solved. My baby is a sony Vaio, running with XP home edition. And i am using a cable to connect to the LAN in my office.

All i am doing is removing the connection from the PC onto my laptop. I thought it should be straight forward... but not.

It shows me the LAN connection icon, with a yellow warning sign attached to it and says "Limited or no connectivity."

I tried to repair it but gives me an error in "renewing your ip address".

tried ipconfig, with release and renew options, but to no avail.

Details on ipconfig gives:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.236.194
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I know there is nothing to set in the network... it is some setting on my laptop, becasue once i plug the cable back onto the PC it works fine.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Munira

Legolas 12:23 30 Mar 06

What kind of connection do you have? is it Ntl Cable or BT. Try switching of the modem for a few minutes to flush the system this might allow the IP to be renewed for your laptop. I have an NTL cable modem and that is my ritual when I lose Internet Comnectivity.

Munira 12:41 30 Mar 06

It is BT. Don't even know where the modem is in this place...
Will have a look, but might have to do it at the end of the day.

thanks anyway.
Munira

johnnyrocker 12:45 30 Mar 06

a reboot is normal when switching a cable connection as the old ip address the pc had will still be present, as legolas says that is the thing to do to resolve the issue.

johnny,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced