limited connectivity mobile . plz help

jonostar 21:52 11 Nov 09

pulling my hair out please help///

bought a t mobile dongle // worked ok for 5 mins .. now keeps dropping connectivity though the reception bar states 5..

same was happening with an o2 dongle which i replaced because i thought it was a compatibilty issue.

windows vista.
running avg
no firewall
any help greatly appreciated.

cj

Technotiger 22:04 11 Nov 09

Unfortunately this seems to be a regular occurrence with mobile dongles. Not a lot you can do about it, except move about and try in several positions/directions. So many things to cause dropout, even with a good signal - could even just be a very busy period, or other dongles/signals in the same vicinity, not to mention other electrical devices, weather etc!

peter99co 22:16 11 Nov 09

check the T-mobile coverage map to determine you are in a good signal area. I used one on a narrowboat canel trip and went from good to bad connection as the miles passed by.

peter99co 22:17 11 Nov 09
  User-1229748 22:21 11 Nov 09

do you live or are you using your pc in somewhere that hasn't got the best mobile phone coverage?vodafone used to have about the best network coverage.

User-1229748 22:22 11 Nov 09

crikey my typing is awfully slow :o(

jonostar 23:24 11 Nov 09

coverage is "very good". the coverage doesnt drop.. its the computer that shows limited .

peter99co 23:40 11 Nov 09

Just noticed your NO Firewall. Is that wise?

woodchip 00:05 12 Nov 09

The five bar is not a very good device to tell you the signal, My Daughter as T Mobile Web And walk Dongle and it works ok though a bit slow on two and three bar at my house on my laptop and hers

woodchip 00:07 12 Nov 09

If its a Laptop it may be windows WiFi settings need changing. You could try this TCP Optimizer at the top, click here leave on default settings and press the Optimize button

jonostar 09:21 12 Nov 09

so using the optimizer will change the wi fi settings on my laptop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…