limited connectivity

petek 23:08 30 Dec 08

hi all, a friend has aHP pavilion comp,vista home, on Virgin cable broadband,everytime i tried to connect to internet message comes up this comp. has limited connectivity,have checked modem(virgin own) with them they say its running fine,said it was a Microsoft software issue,as Vista was preinstalled they passed me to HP tech guys, we went through all kinds of checks,2 system restores still no joy, as the HP phone is premium rate am reluctant to phone again, the chap did say perhaps a factory reset may work? is it any coincidence that this happened just after i uninstalled Norton which came on a 3 month free trial, the connection was fine just before the uninstall,has it left something behind disabling connection? any help much appreciated this is driving me nuts.

STREETWORK 11:56 31 Dec 08

Limited connectivity can be one of the following:

modem - unplug for 10 secs and plug back in

Wireless Zero Cofiguation (WZC) needs to be restarted: type into the run box 'services.msc' without quotes. Scroll down to the wireless zero configuration, right click it and select restart.

In Vista the WZC is very buggy.

Should this not work then its time to check the cables and also reinstall the ethernet driver from device manager.

kidsis 16:13 31 Dec 08

if the previous instructions don't help, the answer may lie in the norton uninstall. I have heard others report that uninstalling norton can result in no internet. The answer is often to reinstall norton, then go to their web site for the norton removal tool (if you did use this in your original uninstall, my apologies). Then if after using their removal tool you still have no internet a repair of the tcp/ip stack would be the next step. HTH

petek 00:34 01 Jan 09

many thanks streetwork and kidsis for replying,in the end i got so fed up trying different things i went to HP support site and got details of how to do a factory reset,the comp is only a couple of months old so not too much in the way of data to back up,lo and behold this did the trick!! however it does mean Norton is reinstalled,previously i just uninstalled Norton from the Control Panel, will take your advice kidsis and go to web site for removal tool,thanks again for tips and advice.

kidsis 21:07 01 Jan 09

let us know how you get on with the uninstall.

VOT Productions 21:21 01 Jan 09

click repair, from Taskbar/right-click connection icon

Slimple as that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now