Limited Accounts and wireless connection

smorrey 13:08 27 Jun 06

I have a desktop PC with Windows XP and a USB wireless network adaptor. I also have a BT Voyager 2091 router and BT Broadband. When I boot up and log on, as an Administrator, the wireless system connects automatically and works fine. If my wife or daughters then log on, as limited account users, the wireless connection still works and they can access the internet. Even if I then log off they still remain connected. However, if the pc is booted up and any of them log on, without me logging on first, then the wireless connection doesn’t work. So none of them can get access to the internet unless I’m around to log on. Any ideas as to how I can get the wireless system to connect automatically even if only a Limited Account user boots up and logs on?

ade.h 15:17 27 Jun 06

Are you running this adapter with the dreaded pointless software? Or driver-only?

If the former is the case, then perhaps the software is not being permitted to run in a limited account environment.

smorrey 16:00 27 Jun 06

I used the installation disk supplied with the adapter to set it up. Should I un-install it? Not exactly sure what you mean by 'driver-only'.

ade.h 16:49 27 Jun 06

Driver only means exactly what it says. USB adapter software is totally unnecessary unless you have a Win9x operating system. They should really be installed without the supplied software. In this instance, it *may* cure your problem.

I have given instructions for the correct procedure on many occasions, but I am happy to paste them here if you need them.

smorrey 17:02 27 Jun 06

Many thanks for your advice. I'll have a go at uninstalling when I get home and see how it goes. I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers.

ade.h 17:59 27 Jun 06

Make sure that you do a cleanup after rebooting once the software and device have each been uninstalled.

smorrey 13:19 29 Jun 06

Good afternoon ade.h, Have spent quite a few hours (again!) trying to get things sorted, and have, I think, finally succeeded. As you suggested I uninstalled the wireless adaptor software and removed the adaptor from the USB slot. I copied the driver from the installation disk to a new folder in My Documents and then plugged the adaptor back in and reinstalled it using the driver alone (now I understand what you mean by ‘driver-only’ – this is the Absolute Beginners forum after all, dangerous to assume too much prior knowledge!). All well and good so far, as the wireless connection eventually kicked in - after playing about in Network Connections somewhat. However, still had trouble when changing between different Users. Eventually sussed that it might be due to yet another piece of software – the BT Wireless Connection Manager – that was automatically installed from the disk BT supplied to set up the Broadband connection/router/etc. There wasn’t an uninstall button for this software and it didn’t appear in the Program List in the ‘Add or Remove Programs’ window despite having a little icon running in the Task Bar. I could right-click on the icon and click Exit to get rid of it but I didn’t want it to fire up in the first place. I eventually tracked it’s origins down to a folder called btbb_wcm in C:\ Program Files. I tried to disable it by re-naming it (not brave enough to just delete it) and that seems to have worked. The wireless connection seems to fire up straightaway, even after re-boot and no matter who’s first to log on, and the little icon doesn’t appear at all now. Bit of a marathon really, but seem to have got there in the end. Could you, or anyone else, explain (in relatively simple terms please) what was going on here, eg why wasn’t the BT Wireless Connection Manager in the Program List? I do like to try to understand how things operate – just in case they come back to haunt me.

Cheers.

ade.h 15:14 29 Jun 06

For thinking laterally!

"...that was automatically installed from the disk BT supplied to set up the Broadband connection/router/etc."

That's a pet hate of mine: stupid unnecessary (with XP, certainly) software that comes with routers, adapters and God knows what. If you're new to networking, you won't necessarily know that it's best to avoid such software. After all, routers do not install - they only connect - and your PC doesn't actually know that it's there as such because all it sees is whatever comes through its network adapter.

As to why it wasn't in Change or Remove Programs; I'm not sure. It's very bad practice for a program to prevent itself from being listed there if it does not provide a Start Menu link for its own uninstaller. And that, I think, is the root cause, because Windows relies firstly on a program's own uninstall routine and only uses its own generic equivalent if the proprietary version does not exist.

smorrey 12:26 03 Jul 06

Many thanks for the assistance. All seems to be working fine now I've got rid of those other pesky programmes and letting XP take care of it all. Next up is to get my security settings sorted. I've been reading up on it so have a reasonable idea what to do, but if you spot a new thread appearing..............

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…