Limit in XP for a second IDE HD?

terendak_uk 19:30 15 May 05

Hi.
I want to replace my external HD (60Gb)with an internal. Need larger capacity for my music ( took Flecc's suggestion from an old thread) and bought the Bush turntable to convert LPs to MP3s). 120Gb would do the job nicely...would it require me to do any more than the usual? ( disk management..etc)Be grateful for advice.

Diodorus Siculus 19:34 15 May 05

You should have no problems at all with a 120GB disk. Simply install as slave, partition and format via disk management, reboot and off you go.

terendak_uk 19:42 15 May 05

What's the limit, may I ask? My mobo ASUSTeK Computer INC. REV 1.xx is old, ( BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V ACPI BIOS Revision 1006) with an Athlon 1Ghz cpu.I just picked up that these would be the limitation....or is XP SP2, the limiter?
Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 19:44 15 May 05

Whoops, the BIOS is the limiter, but I think that you will be ok.

137GB seems to be a limit for some reason. If it is not all recognised, you may have to flash the bios.

terendak_uk 19:46 15 May 05

My primary HD is a SCCI.......if I mounted the second IDE HD, as a storage HD,are there any "hidden" obvious problems?

Diodorus Siculus 19:52 15 May 05

I don't think so but I may well bow out of this before I do make a mistake! Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to offer a better judgement.

terendak_uk 19:54 15 May 05

I Remember a comment re the original DS's history :"Historians generally regard it as uncritical and unreliable" LOL.

terendak_uk 19:56 15 May 05

AS DS is unreliable, as a Historian, then so am I with acronyms .....

terendak_uk 20:01 15 May 05

Mnay thanks for your advice, DS. Always appreciated

Diodorus Siculus 20:57 15 May 05

I often wish that Clive Anderson had not gotten in first with the title of his autobiography - if he hadn't, it would be mine "Unreliable Memoirs"!

dan11 23:41 15 May 05

" My primary HD is a SCCI.......if I mounted the second IDE HD, as a storage HD,are there any "hidden" obvious problems? "

No. Your boot order will have the scsi included, probably as first or second boot. Any way the slave will have no operating system so it will not boot.

120 gig is not so big by todays standards, if you are unsure of the bios or would like a larger drive, then you could use a pci controller card. This would let you use say a 200gig or 300gig hard drive as slave.

Also there is a special offer at aldi at the moment. A 250gig external usb2.0 hard drive with built in card reader and extra usb ports for £99. Not a bad deal:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…