//some 3rd party need geo

Limewire slow down a computer

jmg9190 20:17 13 May 05

Does Limewire slow down a computers startup as when I had limewire on my laptop with Windows XP and 512mb Ram it seemed to slow down a lot? Anybody else experienced this?

jmg9190

Diodorus Siculus 20:19 13 May 05

Yes, it likely does slow down the PC if it is running the various processes needed for file sharing and possible ad serving.

SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 21:43 13 May 05

isn`t limewire just as bad as kazaa full of cr**P bug adware malware,

dogbreath1 22:17 13 May 05

It can be a resource eater if not configured correctly. Don't keep search results any longer than you need to, don't carry out excessive searches and don't share too many files. For specific settings relevent to your pc have a look at click here Also, after first launching Limewire, it's useful to let it settle down (check task manager re resource utilisation) before searching/downloading.

dogbreath1 22:23 13 May 05

Wrong. click here
for the facts. If you want to dispute this please post your grumbles with evidence to 'sberlin' (who wrote the Limewire source code) and can be found at click here

rubella 02:28 14 May 05
  SurfMonkey _#:@}™ 14:36 14 May 05

dogbreath1 before you get up on your high horse maybe you should learn english. I asked a question not a grumble. I think that in english (isn`t) is a question.If it was a fact(grumble) I would have stated (limewire is just as bad as kazaa full of)

dogbreath1 14:59 14 May 05

I agree that a little subtlety on my part wouldn't have gone amiss! But I am very sensitive (particularly on this forum) to people jumping in with both feet to kick down file sharing applications by making wild and often innaccurate comments regarding how 'safe' they are to use. Since you have made it clear that you were indeed asking a question and not semantically making a statement, I do humbly apologise.;) I believe that this forum should project a balanced view of all things p.c., whether or not a particular issue is controversial. This then allows people to make informed judgements as to what they should or should not do. Rant over!

Pooke100 15:06 14 May 05

I have no real interest in p2p software, as I would never need to use it, but limewire paid for the research on rubella's link. Hasn't Microsoft been critiscised for that in the past?

Anyhow I'd expect my computer to get a big dose of diarrhea from the files shared in these proggies. My fiancee's computer regularly did although she used kazaa and not limeWire.

If you can do without p2p, I'd remove it. If you want to download I'd recommend newsbin which is clean and efficient, although I don't have it on my system other family members do....

Regards.

dogbreath1 16:04 14 May 05

I've got no problem with Microsoft or whoever should they fund research which ultimately draws conclusions which support their cause, with the caveat that the findings should be drawn scientifically and fairly. In fact, if I were the MD at Limewire (and contrary to what some might believe, I am not!), I would also have taken commercial action to protect my product by producing evidence to demonstrate that I was supplying an application free of bundled software. In respect of catching nasties, there are two issues. Bundled software- simple answer, choose an application known to be clean whether it be Limewire or whatever. Secondly, infections imported with downloaded files- take adequate precautions click here
and remember that AV progs like Avast have built-in P2P Shields. And when you have done that you can exchange holiday snaps to your heart's content, regardless of whether the source is Grandma who lives in Bognor or an unknown uploader from Timbuktu, in the knowledge that it is relatively safe to do so!

Pooke100 18:17 14 May 05

As I said I have never used any of these proggies and I don't want to, I spent about 9 or do hours cleaning out a friends pc after bad infections, adaware through up hundreds of everything as did AVG, all she was doing was downloading music of winmx and kazaa.

Limewire may be the holly grail of p2p, I don't care if it is and don't care if it's not. No downloading comes without risks least of all p2p. Gamdalf seemed to explain the dangers on the other thread pretty well.

If I wanna exchange pic's with relatives I'll email them or make a photo cd and post it over. (I'm in NI they're in England). Another point is I don't like sharing my PC with people I know, never mind people that I don't.

If peole want to use p2p to download then work away folks don't me stop you, I wasn't intending to!

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…