Is Limewire Legal?

Major Disaster 16:54 04 Oct 05

I would like to download a few tracks and have heard of Limewire. The threat of Spyware/viruses etc doesnt really worry me becuase my pc is full of anti malware apps. But what is troubling me is whether it is legal or not (obviously i wont be burnng and selling cds if that matters).

Thanks

mattyc_92 16:55 04 Oct 05

Limewire is legal, but downloading music is ILLEGAL.

So your answer is "it is illegal"

bremner 16:56 04 Oct 05

Downloading music in breach of its copyright is illegal

De Marcus™ 16:57 04 Oct 05

If you only want to download a few tracks try click here no software to install!

Major Disaster 17:00 04 Oct 05

Mattyc_92 So having the programm on your pc is legal, but once you use it its illegal?

De Marcus, i was kinda hoping for free!

mattyc_92 17:02 04 Oct 05

No, the program itself is legal.... But downloading things like Music or Movies using Limewire is illegal.

Major Disaster 17:03 04 Oct 05

So downloading all music for free is illegal?

mattyc_92 17:04 04 Oct 05

YES, unless you have permission from the artist/record label....

Major Disaster 17:07 04 Oct 05

So all of these kazaa, limewire, imesh, winmx etc are all illegal despite the hundreds of thousands of users?

mattyc_92 17:21 04 Oct 05

No.... The programs are legal (and there are legal uses for them), but downloading music, movies, etc... (copyrighted material) is illegal.

Mikè 17:22 04 Oct 05

"So all of these kazaa, limewire, imesh, winmx etc are all illegal despite the hundreds of thousands of users?"

As has been stated above the programs are not ilegal, just certain uses that they may be put too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…