Limewire is it safe

tunny 13:14 25 Mar 05

Does anyone know anything about a prog. called Limewire? It's a file transfer prog. I believe. Is it safe or will I be downloading trouble?

Yoda Knight 13:15 25 Mar 05

It is a P2P file sharing program. You run the same risks as with Kazaa, shareaza, etc, etc

tunny 13:21 25 Mar 05

My thanks for the quick response Yoda knight. It is as I thought and shall be telling my son firmly "No way". Thanks again.

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 13:26 25 Mar 05

i use it all the time as long as you are sensible with you r AV protection etc yourll be fine. ive used various such apps for the last 18 mths and never had a serious problem [although ive had NO problems at all with limewire] as i say if your carefull about what you d/l youll be safe.

i use

AVG free
Spybot S&D
Lavasoft se
A2
Spysweeper
CWShredder
&
Zonealarm free f/wall
this may sound like a lot but by using these 6 progs i have removed or stopped any problems that have or may have arisen through using p2p

and if you find yourself d/l'ing regularly make sure you regularly Defrag this will keep your d/l's & u/l's running at a healthy rate of kb/s

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 13:30 25 Mar 05

the worst ive had is a couple of trojans [and that was my own fault for going to dodgy sites]
But AVG found them within seconds anyway, and removed them,
and thats in 18mths of using p2p

Yoda Knight 13:38 25 Mar 05

"or will I be downloading trouble? "

And from a legal aspect.... ?

There has been a huge crack down lately, and that spells trouble with a capital T !
I personaly do use P2P. However to advise sum1 to allow their children to do so with out mentioning the legal implications would be wrong from my point of view. There is definately a potential for virus transmission, not to mention other malware. You have to bear in mind that not all users of this forum are at the same level of expertise, and until you have evidence to the contrary, you have to assume them as being newbies. Especially when advising on potentially criminal activities !

CHRoNÏÇ DÂWG 13:42 25 Mar 05

of course i agree,
but then again not all p2p sharing is illegal

tunny 13:47 25 Mar 05

Oh My God what has he started. lol. phoned him and told him not to use it just for the fact of what he could download....thanks to all for your comments. On a final note I myself don't use these sort of progs, never found the need to ..yet. oh to be young again.

SEASHANTY 17:32 25 Mar 05

Limewire was mentioned as one of the file sharers which the BPI was targetting for illegal downloading. Remember the recent events of some parents having to fork out £4000 for their childrens downloading of copyright music.

dogbreath1 18:02 25 Mar 05

There are two issues as you have said. Is p2p legal and is it safe? I think that your conclusions on both are correct. I too use p2p (Limewire) with absolutely no problems. I've appended links to a little light reading. On the subject of bundled spyware click here
On the subject of the effect of p2p downloading on the music industry (and this is meant ot inform rather than to incite any particular behaviour) click here
And if you want some economics injected into the debate click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…