Lime wire P2P

Boy Zone 16:02 23 Jan 06

I have come across this site by accident, where you can, so it seems download music FREE.

Is this site legal?

ade.h 16:12 23 Jan 06

No it is not. Music download sources that are free are illegal unless they have the copyright holder's permission to make their IP freely available.

De Marcus™ 16:13 23 Jan 06

The program itself (limewire) isn't illegal to download and use, what is illegal is to use it to download copyright material such as songs, movies and texts, which is pretty much all you can get from limewire - draw your own conclusion, this question has ben raised umpteen times on this and other forums, to give you an idea click here

ade.h 16:13 23 Jan 06

Examples of legitimate sources if you want free downloads that have permission from the copyright holder:

click here

click here

ade.h 16:14 23 Jan 06

De Marcus has summed up Limewire nicely.

Shortstop 16:40 23 Jan 06

On line radio station that you tailor to suit your preferred music style - and it's legal + free!

click here

ade.h 16:45 23 Jan 06

Yep, forgot that one. Saying that, there has been uncertainty over whether that site is legal in the UK/EU or just the USA. The site's sign up method would suggest USA only, as it claims to accept only US users, but all you need is a US postal code and you don't have to sign up to make use of most of the site.

Shortstop 17:05 23 Jan 06

I listen to this website via my works' broadband modem [secured] and my modem dials access via a European number that is then routed to their server in Washingtomn DC. My employer is an American blue chip company & I entered their Zip code - all OK so far. But I'm listening to this in the UK, where it may or may not be legal, via a server in the States!

Hmmmm ;o)

ade.h 17:22 23 Jan 06

Yeah, the impression that I have of this is that Pandora is not actually that worried if you're not a US citizen. It just has to say or do certain things to meet any regulations that may be applicable.

Boy Zone 22:02 23 Jan 06

I think I get the picture also, so which is the cheapest(legal as well) and best place to download music?

ade.h 22:34 23 Jan 06

I've already provided two free and totally legitimate sources; you can't get much cheaper than that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5