lilo error

Knot2sure 15:19 03 Jun 05

After buying a new case and swapping everthing over, (all of which worked initially). i now cannot boot the machine, if i unplug the IDE cable leading to the CD drives, i can get as far as the BIOS, this shows that only one HDD has been detected, always the one on the slave end of the IDE cable, if i try with the CD drives connected it just hangs at primary device detection and never detects anything.

I have mandriva installed as well as windows with LILO as the boot manager, before it gets to lilo i get loads of L 01 01 01 01 01 01.... this means that LILO cannot find its config files, can anyone suggest what the problem is? The MOBO seems ok as does the BIOS so am i looking at getting a new HDD or could the cable be the problem? also can anyone shed any light on the reason my system hangs earlier if the CD drives are connected?

running athlon XP 2200+
512 Mb ddr ram
40Gb HDD (Master), 120Gb HDD (Slave)
DVD drive (Slave)
CD Writer (Master)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:33 03 Jun 05

Check

1.is the IDE cables cnnected the correct way round in the drive

2. jumpers on drives set correctly

3. master on center or end connection of ide swap and rety

Knot2sure 15:57 03 Jun 05

ok after faffing with the jumpers, (not sure y i had to as all was fine with the old system, but hey thats computers) i have a working system minus the cd drives, just about to check on the IDE cable, as now im sure this is the problem. Thanks furit bat for your response! ill post if success results (and more thn likely if it dosent!)

Knot2sure 16:07 03 Jun 05

Yep IDE cable the wrong way round am now kicking myself!

Thanx for the help!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 03 Jun 05

Don't Kick too hard, we have all done simular at sometime or another. :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…