Likely Hacker Attempt?!?!

Ken Ju-On 21:42 13 Dec 03

I have the latest version of the ZoneAlarm firewall installed on my Windows XP computer. Since yesterday, this has been happening.

My firewall informs me that explorer.exe wants to access the Internet. Curious that this had never happened in the 9 months I've had ZoneAlarm, I deny it access. A few seconds after that, it tells me that explorer.exe is attempting to transmit email messages across the Internet. Certain that I never asked for this, I deny it permission again.

Just a few minutes ago, I accidently ALLOWED explorer.exe to access the Internet when it requested. Next thing I knew, Norton AntiVirus 2003 was scanning an outgoing email for viruses. An email was being sent from my computer without my consent! Alarmed, I engaged ZoneAlarm's Internet Lock, hence stopping all Internet activity. Then Norton AntiVirus told me that an attempt to send email to [email protected] failed!!

What do you think of this?

VoG II 21:46 13 Dec 03

I take it that your Norton anti-virus is fully up to date and you've run a full scan.

Try a scan for Trojans using click here and/or click here

Ken Ju-On 21:53 13 Dec 03

Yes, everything's updated.

I read the firewall logs and it was clearly a hacker attempt. I've scanned my system with Ad-Aware... it detected a spyware element I've never encountered before and removed it. Hope things will turn out right. An Ad-Aware scan is enough, isn't it?

VoG II 21:55 13 Dec 03

Try The Cleaner as above - it is a 30-day free trial.

I would also run Spybot click here

rev.bem 22:09 13 Dec 03

It could be a virus ,

click on start>

run>

type in msconfig and select startup

check the list of startup items with this

click here=

Gaz 25 00:53 14 Dec 03

Could you please screenshot or list all the items in your start-up entries?

Also... Post a copy of explorer.exe so I can analyse the file, to ensure it is clean.

It sounds like a virus that is unknown, and has overwritten explorer.exe with a infected copy.

Meanwhile scan you computer with the following:

click here

click here

Regards,

Gaz 25,

Flamewall Security

Gaz 25 00:55 14 Dec 03

Also...

click here - Hijack this.

Download, unzip and run HijackThis. When the scan is finished, click 'save log' and copy & paste it in a reply post here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…