Lightning Alert

Graham. 09:12 15 Feb 07

Ireland, Wales and Cornwall at the moment
click here

Diemmess 09:21 15 Feb 07

Have you looked at the Met Office rainfall radar?
At 0915 today, there is no recorded precipitation on UK mainland.
click here

Carafaraday 09:35 15 Feb 07

I have a Belkin Surgemaster, which claims it will protect me against 'surge, spike and lightning'. Does anyone know whether these things actually work?!

Graham. 17:52 15 Feb 07

Surges and spikes, yes. Nothing will stop a strike on your house, overhead telephone wires, etc. Even a close strike will result in the rise in earth potential for quite a distance.

Carafaraday 10:37 18 Feb 07

Graham - thanks for your reply. I have always disconnected everything when I went on holiday - and used to do the same every night - but was advised by my ISP not to disconnect my broadband. I think if there is any danger of storms in the area I will ignore that advice in future!

Forum Editor 11:04 18 Feb 07

not to disconnect my broadband."

I can't imagine why.

Carafaraday 12:54 18 Feb 07

I think the idea of not connecting overnight was something to do with maintaining the connection. I had trouble connecting one morning and phoned them (Madasafish). They seemed to indicate that my connection reliability and speed would both improve if I left the connection permanently on.

Carafaraday 12:55 18 Feb 07

above should, of course, read 'the idea of not DISconnecting.........' - sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…