A lighter moment for Saturday night

slowhand_1000 20:37 01 Mar 03

After reading about flecc's 'Strewth'.
It seems that this letter that appeared in Daily M... on Friday was quite apt.

WHY DO COMPUTERS CRASH
At a recent computer expo Bill Gates, comparing the comp. industry with the auto industry said "If General Motors had kept up with technology like the comp. industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon"
General Motors issued this response 'If we had developed technology akin to Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics.
'For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
'Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would expect this.
Occasionally, executing a manoeuvre such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as east to drive - but would run on only 5% of the roads.
'The oil, water temp and warning lights would all be replaced by a "This car has performed an illegal operation" warning light.
'The airbag would ask "Are you sure" before deploying.
Occasionally, for no reason, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed the radio antenna.
Every time a new car was introduced, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
'You'd have to press the start button to turn the engine off.

TECHNODIMWIT 20:50 01 Mar 03

if flecc designed it .

engine 50cc

500 mpg

1,000 mph

and you could park it in a matchbox :))))

VoG™ 20:50 01 Mar 03
  cottager 20:53 01 Mar 03

Slowhand_1000
I love it;-) That is a brilliant comeback to Bill Gates - how is he going to get out of that one?
Cottager

watchful 21:00 01 Mar 03

A great one that - I didn't see the earlier post about ringing bells!

leo49 21:05 01 Mar 03

Considering this story's been around for at least 5 years, I wouldn't think he's losing much sleep over it...

Regards

slowhand_1000 21:07 01 Mar 03

oops, didn't see this in posting on Friday, now that will teach me. Still made me giggle though.

cottager 21:09 01 Mar 03

Just shows how behind the times I am!!! Hadn't seen/heard it before;-)
Cottager

Stuartli 21:40 01 Mar 03

It also appeared a few days ago in the Mail's Answers to Correspondents column - presumably the paper's Letters editor doesn't read the rest of his publication...:-)

MichelleC 09:46 02 Mar 03

I was going to post it too, but you beat me to it. I've never heard of this guy General Motors though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant