life of a hard drive

lofty29 10:12 29 Jan 08

I now this is like how long is a piece of string, but any ideas of the lifespan of a hard-drive, my C is about 6 years old now, which holds all my programmes, and I am thinking of cloning it wth a replacement ready for when it packs in, what is the best cloning tool?

bjh 10:40 29 Jan 08

Acronis seems to be favoured by many, myself included. There's even a free version 8 doing the rounds of the rival computer magazines at the moment (and may your eyes burn out if you read the printings of Beelzebub!). Version 8 is certainly sufficient for what you want - cloning hard drives and the like - I still use it on a couple of machines, but I don't think it allows incremental backup like the higher version.

As to the life of a hard drive? You are right, and I have no idea how long your piece of string is. I had a couple of failed Maxtor drives that were under a year old, unrelated failures, quite light use. Those are the ONLY hard drives that have ever failed through normal usage. About six months ago I powered up a 300 MEGABYTE drive (also Maxtor) that must be something like 15 years old. Worked perfectly. All data intact. During its life it was a shared lab machine, on all the time and used by about five mucky PhD students at once. Hell for a computer (and none too pleasant for me either!)

The only other drive that failed had abnormal use - a desktop that was treated like a laptop, dragged from lab to lab, humped up stairs, dumped on tables and generally abused. It got its revenge, wiping all my data for 3 months of research, and proving the other point about hard drive life........

.... that they always last a day less than your backup routine!

Given the age of your old drive, a new drive is worth getting. The old one can remain as a backup to the new, with both in the machine at the same time. I would guess your old one will be small, given its age, and you can thus buy one on a relative budget.

Also, keep a backup on a cd or dvd, and put that somewhere safe, away from the computer, just in case...

€dstowe 10:43 29 Jan 08

I am amazed that you don't have a backup done as part of your normal maintenance procedure especially with a drive that old.

I always use Acronis True Image which will file and/or system backups as well as cloning a drive.

lofty29 10:49 29 Jan 08

bjh
Thanks for your reply, I always use seagate drives nowadays, Had a maxtor once failed quite quickly, and saw some bad reports on them, also some years ago worked for a computer firm as a storeman and most of the drives that came back u/g were maxtors, although had one bad batch of seagates, sods law I suppose. only use C which is 20gb for os, d is 80gb which I use for my storage

lofty29 10:53 29 Jan 08

HI Edstowe, always back my data via dvd disk, its mainly the programmes I am concerned about, dont want to go through all the reloading etc, and some of them I don't have the cd for anymore

octal 11:00 29 Jan 08

In my old job there was one of the computers with a HD which was there when I joined and was still going strong when I left and that was 16 years!

lofty29 14:23 29 Jan 08

I have seen on ebuyer that they have a western digital 80gb ide hdd with good feedback, anyone had any experience of these. I was thinking that I could hook it up via a ide-usb connector which I have and copy over the content that way, this would avoid having to dissconnect my present second hhd. any coments???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…